The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Have to say Niall Paterson's 9pm show has been fab this election. It's like the Sky News of old.

How so? It just seemed to be Niall sat at a desk with 3 people with different opinions arguing tonight.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Have to say Niall Paterson's 9pm show has been fab this election. It's like the Sky News of old. They just need to put Kay Burley back on daytime out the way, even more so with her new obsession with those bloody mugs!!

I’m sorry, Derek. We’re going to have to ask you to withdraw that remark. How can you call our finest politicians “those bloody mugs”?

Surely you meant to type “those flaming idiots”? (Other f-words are available, but this is a family show, Derek.......)

Niall Paterson: couldn’t agree more. He’s a fantastic presenter and I predict he’ll move up the ranks in Sky, subject to not being poached by ITN as a potential new lead anchor in the coming months......
CA
cat
Have to say Niall Paterson's 9pm show has been fab this election. It's like the Sky News of old. They just need to put Kay Burley back on daytime out the way, even more so with her new obsession with those bloody mugs!!

Predictably, Kay Burley fronting a political interview show has been a disaster.

Not a good election for Sky.

Two totally unnecessary rows with both parties (empty chair, “brexit election”)

No leader interviews

No debates

No particularly standout reporting or exclusives. Have hardly seen Beth Rigby.

I agree that the 9pm slot has been excellent however.
BF
BFGArmy
cat posted:

Predictably, Kay Burley fronting a political interview show has been a disaster.

Not a good election for Sky.

Two totally unnecessary rows with both parties (empty chair, “brexit election”)

No leader interviews

No debates

No particularly standout reporting or exclusives. Have hardly seen Beth Rigby.

I agree that the 9pm slot has been excellent however.

I'd struggle to say which channels have had a 'good election' thus far though.

BBC's coverage in the last few months will mostly be remembered for the endless vox pops, wreathgate and that infamous Boris QT clip.

ITV's debate was a complete mess - and while Nina's interviews with the other leaders were good that was very much the coffee after the main meal.

Channel 4's stunt has taken the focus off their debate.

The 'winners' thus far cover-wise are probably:
-NIall. I haven't watched 'The Campaign' yet but hear a lot of good things about it. He's a great presenter so it's good to see him getting the acclaim he deserves.

-Newsnight and Emily Maitlis. The show seems to have gotten back the bite it had been missing for a while. Maitlis is excellent and ably supported by Kirsty Wark and Emma Barnett. Maitlis's interview with Prince Andrew (while not Brexit-related) was a masterclass.
MA
Markymark
. Maitlis's interview with Prince Andrew (while not Brexit-related) was a masterclass.

...but a handy (from the politicians' PoV) diversion away from far more important and pressing matters.
BF
BFGArmy
. Maitlis's interview with Prince Andrew (while not Brexit-related) was a masterclass.

...but a handy (from the politicians' PoV) diversion away from far more important and pressing matters.

Not that that's Emily fault (which I'm sure you're not suggesting anyway), the media should be able to cover 2 big stories (Prince Andrew/the election) at the same time.
MA
Markymark

Not that that's Emily fault (which I'm sure you're not suggesting anyway), the media should be able to cover 2 big stories (Prince Andrew/the election) at the same time.

Indeed, it's just that the Prince Andrew coverage has been far in excess of what is warranted. It's significant, but there's nothing about it that is going to influence our day to day lives, unlike the outcome of the election, etc....
BR
Brekkie
Niall Paterson: couldn’t agree more. He’s a fantastic presenter and I predict he’ll move up the ranks in Sky, subject to not being poached by ITN as a potential new lead anchor in the coming months......

He'd fit in at C4 News but realistically if he is poached it would be for a senior correspondent role rather than presenting role at the moment.

8 days later

RH
richard h
Got to say I'm really impressed with the effort sky have gone to for their election coverage. Sky central looks great with all the colour stripes and massive desk. multiple jib cameras to be used too by the look of the promo. so much better than the tiny Westminster studio, box or ex sunrise studio ever could have been. its like having sky centre back with an exciting studio even if it is only for 1 day. Now you just need to use the special election music please sky. its going to be odd not having Adam Boulton presenting it but I'm looking forward to staying with sky news all night and Friday daytime. From boring white to every colour you could want its definately going to be a bold election and looks so much more visually engaging than the usual presentation.

its quite funny how Sky News have ended up hosting no debates when it was them who campaigned the hardest for them but I personally find them a waste of time and they are usually car crash tv. Now if we could just have the day to day interviewers ask a question and allow someone to answer without interrupting after 2 seconds things would be great
DE
derek500
Sky News has been my go to Election channel since their first in 1992 with David Frost and Selina Scott presenting. The thought of Bercow having a high profile will send me elsewhere.

Tweets like this from Lewis Goodall don't help Sky's impartiality either:-

SKY/YOUGOV INSTANT POLL-Who won?

Boris Johnson- 52
Jeremy Corbyn- 48

This. Country. Is. Cursed.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1203065409169240071
LH
lhx1985
I think that's a reference to the numbers, not to whom the numbers are assigned.
No impartiality, just a very obvious reference to why the country finds itself in the mess it does.
BF
BFGArmy
I think that's a reference to the numbers, not to whom the numbers are assigned.
No impartiality, just a very obvious reference to why the country finds itself in the mess it does.

That said even as someone who often agrees with his views, Lewis Goodall does sail very close to the wind sometimes online when it comes to impartiality. It's not hard to work out what way he leans politically.

Not that I'm saying politicial correspondents shouldn't have views on politics (the fact they're covering politics suggests they're interested in it) but it really should be the case that the professional broadcaster is different from what the actual individual is like.

Newer posts