The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Jon posted:

If it’s just a monitor or chroma key backdrop why not use a live backdrop? Do they normally use a live backdrop of a different locations - if they do it the change could possibly be because there were issues with the camera or weather made it look bad.

It may not be viable to have a live camera 24/7 on the building opposite, it's a BBC building I seem to recall, but beyond that.......

Also live backdrops can create problems.

Protestors and other 'live incidents outside' spring to mind as being reasons for using pre-recorded footage for the back background that's periodically updated instead of live footage. After all it's hardly ideal if viewers see a car crash in the background whilst on air, followed by the aftermath and ambulances.
SP
Spencer
Jon posted:

It may not be viable to have a live camera 24/7 on the building opposite, it's a BBC building I seem to recall, but beyond that.......

Also live backdrops can create problems.

Protestors and other 'live incidents outside' spring to mind as being reasons for using pre-recorded footage for the back background that's periodically updated instead of live footage. After all it's hardly ideal if viewers see a car crash in the background whilst on air, followed by the aftermath and ambulances.

And it’s not just humans that can cause problems...

DO
dosxuk
I'm struggling to think of many actual live DTL or studio background feeds. They were all the range 20 years ago, but seem to have almost completely died out.
MA
Markymark
I'm struggling to think of many actual live DTL or studio background feeds. They were all the range 20 years ago, but seem to have almost completely died out.

Didn't Reporting Scotland have one for the 5 min bulletins ?

South Today had one looking at the Guildhall, and if you knew what you were looking at the BBC South building was also in shot !
OW
Owen_ploc
Whoops..
Looks like graphics on Worklife were broken this morning.
MI
TheMike
A couple of glitches up to the 10pm TOTH on the News channel.

First the Sportsday coming up menu with Jane Hill voiceover : 1x in the Reith style then repeated again in the old Gill Sans graphics package.

Followed by back-to-back identical election trails.
RN
Rolling News
Is it possible for this channel to get through ONE DAY without a cock up?
OW
Owen_ploc

Who knows Laughing
SS
SuperSajuuk

Nope sorry, there was another one today. Loss of audio within about a minute of the Your Questions simulcast where we heard a clip of Boris Johnson, then silence, before it handed back to Annita in E for about 5 minutes while they rectified the issue. Razz
JW
JamesWorldNews
Hang on! Where did our interesting convo go??

Our debate was more interesting than the leadership debates of late! Has Nick Robinson been moderating this thread? Lol.

Joking aside, contrary to the comments of many other, the accidental playout of Film Review aston templates during the 5 yesterday proved to me just how good the new BBC News graphics actually are! I prefer the current conventional news graphics over the accidental ones from yesterday. If I haven’t already said it, kudos to Media Boy and co for bringing us this fresh look.

Now, if only we could do something about that circular desk........
MA
Markymark

Who knows Laughing

Only someone daft enough to watch the channel all day long!
JF
JF World News
Wonder why BBC Two & BBC News didn't take the BBC World News Summary at 9am to save money if there is a Your Question at 09:05?

Newer posts