The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DP
DPE123
[quote="BFGArmy" pid="1195804"]
Wolf must be beside himself at the moment (on a side note has his program ever not started with that Breaking News sting).

Funnily enough I noticed at 11pm Situation Room did NOT actually start with the breaking news sting!!... yes I was astonished too, first time I've ever seen them not use it!
BA
bakamann
I saw an advertisement for Talk Asia, the next show is interviewing the South African rugby captain. It seems CNN International is just using Talk Asia as a generic interview show, why not just scrap or rename the show?
GI
ginnyfan
That's what they usually do, interview celebs/sportspeople/politicians when they come to Asia.

11 days later

BF
BFGArmy
Cyril Vanier - clearly quite the Anchorman. Very Happy

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5TuMpplXXB/
GI
ginnyfan
Cyril and Isa have been such a surprise for me. I honestly didn't expect this pair to work, thought it would be another one of those forced pairings who are just doing their job but would rather do the show solo. But these two have a very natural, relaxed and unique chemistry since day one. There are some awkward moments which I find amusing as well, like when they interview someone you can see them making gestures and even commenting something to each other.
BF
BFGArmy
They're brilliant aren't they. They had big shoes to fill given how good Michael & Amara were but they've done a great job. The whole nighttime output from London is very good - any show involving Hala is a good one, The Brief is a better News At 10 than the actual BBC & ITV News At 10 bulletins and Your World Today has quickly become appointment viewing for me.

CNN pushing their 'Call to Earth' campaign pretty hard too I have to say- nearly every advert break seems to mention it.
JW
JamesWorldNews
II firmly believe that all the output from London (since the inception of CNN London) has been far superior to that of Atlanta.

And the anchors historically based in London (with one notable exception) are the best on the network too.
BFGArmy and Meridian AM gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
II firmly believe that all the output from London (since the inception of CNN London) has been far superior to that of Atlanta.

And the anchors historically based in London (with one notable exception) are the best on the network too.

Definitely agree. I'm interested to know who is your one notable exception though!

And even though Richard Quest and Becky Anderson don't present from London as much these days, they and their programmes are still excellent.

London presenters Bianca and Hala are very good too.
Max Foster is better these days and Julia Chatterley is excellent, though she is mostly in NY.

The Atlanta based programmes tend to be too Americanised in terms of content for me, but I guess that is to be expected to a certain degree.
BF
BFGArmy
Have to say the Atlanta presenters are all pretty good too actually. Natalie, Rosie, Robyn, Paula Newton, Michael Holmes and Lynda - all strong anchors.
CNNI's presenters are certainly the least of its issues.
MA
Meridian AM
I don't like the lower thirds graphics. They are too big and have been around for a while now.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Rosemary Church and Paula Newton are exceptional too, I must admit.

The “notable exception” in London I’m referring to is someone from the past, not current, crop of presenters.
BF
BFGArmy
I'm assuming you're not referring to the Sweeney there James. As I say, the current presenters are all great but I do miss Fionnuala - you knew any broadcast anchored by her would be a proper newscast (same was true too of Ralitsa Vassileva).

Newer posts