« Topics
TIGHazard579 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Well if the BBC were hoping the Question Time edit outrage would be smaller scale than the cenotaph one, they'll be disappointed. It's now front page of Reddit. And full of overseas viewers talking about how they will no longer trust BBC World News to be impartial. The cenotaph problem only gained outrage here.

Are you serious? The same site that acts as a breeding ground for the alt-right and "men's rights activists"?

Honestly I don't want to get into an argument over this. It is irrelevant to presentation matters. But it is the 15th most popular website in the UK, just beating gov.uk and behind Instagram. Visit the correct parts (such as oldbritishtelly for clips which could go in the Youtube Gold thread) and it's alright.
Rkolsen2,952 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
Well if the BBC were hoping the Question Time edit outrage would be smaller scale than the cenotaph one, they'll be disappointed. It's now front page of Reddit. And full of overseas viewers talking about how they will no longer trust BBC World News to be impartial. The cenotaph problem only gained outrage here.

Whether the BBC like it or not, there are people who wait all day to attack them over perceived biases and although this report was fixed in the evening and late news airings, I strongly believe that no editing of politicians answers should be done for timing reasons, at least during an election period and that such a policy should be put in place for the reminder of this election coverage.

Like those on Reddit listen to the World Service.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Cando gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,977 posts since 25 Aug 2004
I'm sure some do, it's a massive site with a large diverse membership.

I've used Reddit for years and it's really a reflection of Internet itself - some subreddits are valuable and decent, some are absolute cesspits. Some users are well informed and highly intelligent... some are total a-holes.

r/politics has been invaluable the last few years for keeping in touch with what's going on with American politics. It's a very heavily moderated subreddit so it's mostly constructive and reliable.

There's every topic you can think of on there, to dismiss it because it's got, or had, some undesirable parts is unfair

(Not that I'm a subscriber to the conspiracy regarding the BBC and Boris)
Jeffmister and BBI45 gave kudos
VMPhil10,001 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
I don't want to get into an argument, particularly with people on here I respect like yourself. But there are a number of reasons why I dislike Reddit, as I've followed the site and its leadership in the tech news over the years. A BBC conspiracy theory on the front page isn't going to change my mind.
Cando, TIGHazard and 623058 gave kudos
BFGArmy476 posts since 15 Jan 2018
London London
I'm sure some do, it's a massive site with a large diverse membership.

I've used Reddit for years and it's really a reflection of Internet itself - some subreddits are valuable and decent, some are absolute cesspits. Some users are well informed and highly intelligent... some are total a-holes.

r/politics has been invaluable the last few years for keeping in touch with what's going on with American politics. It's a very heavily moderated subreddit so it's mostly constructive and reliable.

There's every topic you can think of on there, to dismiss it because it's got, or had, some undesirable parts is unfair

(Not that I'm a subscriber to the conspiracy regarding the BBC and Boris)

I've the opposite review on R/Politics actually. It's one of the worst subs for absolute hysteria - and is a chore to read after a while.
I always take Reddit and Twitter with a big pinch of salt - there's a lot of ignorance and people can come out with or believe the biggest load of rubbish. The whole Boston Bomber saga was a particular lowpoint.
Last edited by BFGArmy on 25 November 2019 12:09am
Inspector Sands13,977 posts since 25 Aug 2004

I've the opposite review on R/Politics actually. It's one of the worst subs for absolute hysteria - and is a chore to read after a while.

It can be a bit, but I get a better context of the story through reading the conversations about the story than I do through any other means. The way that only certain, reliable, publications are allowed to be posted is a big plus.

Quote:
I always take Reddit and Twitter with a big pinch of salt - there's a lot of ignorance and people can come out with or believe the biggest load of rubbish.

As I say, it's representative of the whole Internet.

The one USP that Reddit has is that a lot of the rubbish gets downvoted and therefore hidden or relegated to the bottom. It's a feature I wish a lot of other forums had.... I'd use it a lot on here! Laughing

Quote:
The whole Boston Bomber saga was a particular lowpoint.

Yes that was disastrous for its reputation, there's been a few of those - the whole The_Donald section is another. However not every user sees the controversial stuff as by its very nature you only get the sections you want appearing. It's different to Twitter in that respect as it's topic based rather than person based
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 25 November 2019 7:20am
BFGArmy gave kudos
Parker78 posts since 16 May 2019
Is any of this to do with presentation?
..."at the first sign of danger my pussy's hairs stand on end" Betty Slocombe 27/05/1975
Cando, Brekkie and rob gave kudos
No further posts are being accepted for this topic