The Newsroom

Newsnight

(September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Why can’t they use Elstree for the big election Studio B not big enough it will lack atmosphere and people in the background getting the latest info.

It is either not available as it is already booked around Christmas time and/or it is cheaper to hold it in NBH.

The latter is most likely the main reason in my opinion, as the BBC has spent a lot of money on using Studio D at Elstree since 2015 - The 2015 Election, The 2016 Referendum and The 2017 Election all came from the studio in the space of two years.

Studio B at Broadcasting House proved effective with the local and European elections earlier this year, so they know it can be used well for the general election.

The 2019 general election will be the first time BBC One has not used a huge studio set up for a general election night coverage. The big mega sets have nearly always been used, first in TC1 at Television Centre until the 2010 election, thereafter at BBC Elstree.

I think 1983 and 1987 were the two general elections with a more basic, smaller set up, however since 1970 most general election night studios at the BBC have been massive. This will be a change for 2019.
AI
aircheck
Ok, that answers a lot then - I did wonder if it could be because of the election night show - but I thought it would be unlikely they wouldn’t have done it anywhere other than Elstree, having done all the national General Elections from there since the move to NBH. I couldn’t see why they wouldn’t. But the point about Elstree being booked up in the run up to Christmas is a good point i hadn’t thought of - it’s funny that something like Strictly is affecting this year’s election programme!
BR
Brekkie
Michael Ball and Alfie Boe actually.

https://www.sroaudiences.com/application.asp?show_id=2042
NG
noggin Founding member
Ok, that answers a lot then - I did wonder if it could be because of the election night show - but I thought it would be unlikely they wouldn’t have done it anywhere other than Elstree, having done all the national General Elections from there since the move to NBH. I couldn’t see why they wouldn’t. But the point about Elstree being booked up in the run up to Christmas is a good point i hadn’t thought of - it’s funny that something like Strictly is affecting this year’s election programme!

Strictly comes from a BBC Studioworks studio in Elstree Film Studios, not a studio in BBC Elstree. It uses a standing set on the George Lucas stage.

The last three 'big studio' election shows have come from Elstree Studio D - which is on the BBC Elstree site (not Elstree Film Studios)

Strictly has had no impact on General Election planning as it comes from a different studio on a different site.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Why can’t they use Elstree for the big election Studio B not big enough it will lack atmosphere and people in the background getting the latest info.

But the days of needing to be in the same physical room to pass on the latest info are long gone.

They can probably do a better job of it in an air conditioned office with windows rather than a makeshift space in a hot TV studio.

It's very little different to how the people at the back of the Grandstand set are no longer there on Final Score.
BM
BM11

It is either not available as it is already booked around Christmas time and/or it is cheaper to hold it in NBH.

The latter is most likely the main reason in my opinion, as the BBC has spent a lot of money on using Studio D at Elstree since 2015 - The 2015 Election, The 2016 Referendum and The 2017 Election all came from the studio in the space of two years.

Studio B at Broadcasting House proved effective with the local and European elections earlier this year, so they know it can be used well for the general election.

The 2019 general election will be the first time BBC One has not used a huge studio set up for a general election night coverage. The big mega sets have nearly always been used, first in TC1 at Television Centre until the 2010 election, thereafter at BBC Elstree.

I think 1983 and 1987 were the two general elections with a more basic, smaller set up, however since 1970 most general election night studios at the BBC have been massive. This will be a change for 2019.

The fake background used for the EU elections looks cheap and deserves to be criticized.
JK
JKDerry
BM11 posted:

The fake background used for the EU elections looks cheap and deserves to be criticized.

I would think they are adjusting that look, and hopefully we will get a better design for the general election, we await and see.

77 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews

MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse

MA
Markymark

And I read recently that Peter Hobday one of Newsnight's original presenters died last month.

13 days later

OM
Omnipresent
Faisal Islam presenting Newsnight, I believe for the first time, tonight. A good signing by the BBC.
RN
Rolling News
Sarah Smith did a couple of editions last week, was that her first time or had she done it before?

Newer posts