The Newsroom

2019 General Christmas election.

12th December: NO drama just presentation. (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BM
BM11
BBC News article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50463816
Quote:
Judges said the case was not suitable for judicial review.

Lord Justice Davis and Mr Justice Warby said ITV was not carrying out a "public function" with the debate, so the challenge was dismissed.

However, the parties had the right to complain to Ofcom about the programme after it had been broadcast, they said.

Personally I think common sense has prevailed with the judges outcome. If the parties complain to OFCOM after broadcast depending on the complaints I suspect ITV (and BBC) would probably be cleared, however it might result in new guidelines being drawn up by OFCOM for future election coverage/debates.

I remember in 2010 Alex Salmond threatened Scotland only legal action regarding the debates.
:-(
A former member
STV has now admit it not made a promo for this debate.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Channel 4 Alternative announced ...

Must be at least an hour since Katherine Ryan was on Channel 4

I can’t quite understand the point of an ‘alternative’ show especially one that is semi serious anyway, as surely if you are staying up for the results, you actually want the results?
TI
TIGHazard
Sorry if old news but speaking of STV

https://stv.tv/news/politics/1442443-stv-to-host-general-election-debate-with-scottish-leaders/
:-(
A former member
That just come out today I believe.
BM
BM11

RD
RDJ
I see there’s a new promo for the Election on the BBC that’s just aired for the first time.

Strangely enough for whatever reason it’s in 4:3 with black bars at the sides.
RK
Rkolsen
BM11 posted:

I’m curious to know if they would have done this regardless or given BuzzFeed’s strategic partnerships with NBC. NBCU has invested $400 million and have partnerships with advertising, content and other ventures.
JA
james-2001
RDJ posted:
I see there’s a new promo for the Election on the BBC that’s just aired for the first time.

Strangely enough for whatever reason it’s in 4:3 with black bars at the sides.

That's become a common trendy way to make things the last few years, just like faux letterboxes were in the 4:3 days.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I don't think Russell Howard has been on during an election period before, so his current Sky One show is full of equal amounts of time bashing the Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
I don't think Russell Howard has been on during an election period before, so his current Sky One show is full of equal amounts of time bashing the Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems.

Good News was on in 2010. I remember him taking the piss out of Nick Clegg's newfound, short lived, popularity
AN
Andrew Founding member

On The Last Leg last week, after about 6 years mostly having a go at the tories, Adam said that he couldn’t decide who to vote for this year as they are all as bad as each other followed by a skit slating Jeremy Corbyn. Guest Nish Kumar hadn’t read the memo though and didn’t agree.

Newer posts