TV Home Forum

Children In Need 2019

The eye of the Pudsey (November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Let us rewind back to 2009, ten years a go and look at what Children in Need offered for their telethon night then.

Friday 20th November 2019 on BBC One:

Sir Terry Wogan, Tess Daly and Alesha Dixon hosted for the night - with the stars of Strictly opening the show.

A special edition of the magical series Merlin
A special edition of Casualty
The launch of the official Children in Need single by Peter Kay and "a host of famous faces"
The cast of Hollyoaks rock TV Centre with their tribute to Queen
A peek at the 2009 Dr Who Christmas Special, the final one for David Tennant
The One Show team perform the street dance from Fame
A special edition of Dragons Den
Westlife perform live in the studio
A special edition of Lark Rise to Candleford with Terry Wogan in it
The cast of The Bill perform a rat pack classic
Eastenders cast celebrate the Magic of Motown
BBC Newsreaders perform their special dance and music routine

All that was on before the BBC News at Ten

Was 2009 the one where Terry finally admitted he gets paid - and has always got paid for presenting it?

It was in the news in 2007 that he was paid an honorarium for hosting the programme, and was the only celebrity to receive a payment (contrary to your assertion in another post). He had never negotiated the fee and had never asked for one, and always donated the fee back to Children in Need.

The fee was part of his overall BBC salary, and was never discussed with Terry or I believe his agent, it was all included in his package for hosting his Radio 2 show etc.
BR
Brekkie
So effectively rather than being paid specifically for it he was probably just contractually obliged to host.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Peanuts when compared to the Chief Execs of most charities.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I'm always flabbergasted when remuneration, salaries and working conditions for charity workers is questioned. I'm quite happy that professionals are employed under commercial terms and in decent premises providing that a commensurate value and return is made for the aims and tasks that the charity are declared to be deemed to be carried out.

(Declaration of interest I am a Trustee of one, formerly another and nascent one of a third)
:-(
A former member
BM11 posted:
Dont look at the ealry 90s...

Which was before I was born and also during a fully fledged recession.

Get worse, in 1988-1990 overall total was £21million, then come that Recession and bang it never reach or surpass that total until 2001. It would not break its on the night total until 2004..
BS
Ben Shatliff
BM11 posted:
Dont look at the ealry 90s...

Which was before I was born and also during a fully fledged recession.

Get worse, in 1988-1990 overall total was £21million, then come that Recession and bang it never reach or surpass that total until 2001. It would not break its on the night total until 2004..

Spot on £21 Million in 1991 was the greatest turn took years before reaching that again.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Going through my recordings of last night's show, when BBC SE was on the network feed, they couldn't use their ticker, instead using a caption to apologise for the technical issues. While the top left corner was the network generated Pudsey and text in HD.

London only went off-air for the second opt-out and was back to normal on the third. The first opt did have glitches.
PF
PFML84
The Pudsey look/animations are dire. I hope they change the overall look for next year. At one point we had him doing the "Single Ladies" Beyoncé dance on the studio monitors. A song from 2008 and they are still running that animation thinking its either funny or cool or even just looks good. Sorry, but it doesn't.

It did seem incredibly flat this year, more than previous years, and at one point, a VT gave out the text donation numbers, then a caption just after this gave them out again with a VO, then we go to Tess in the studio who gave them out for a third time in a row with nothing in between!
TI
TIGHazard
Going through my recordings of last night's show, when BBC SE was on the network feed, they couldn't use their ticker, instead using a caption to apologise for the technical issues. While the top left corner was the network generated Pudsey and text in HD.

London only went off-air for the second opt-out and was back to normal on the third. The first opt did have glitches.

I wouldn't say the third was fully normal, it still had a crackling audio and "we apologise for technical issues" message. But the video was fine at least.

Newer posts