The Newsroom

Newsnight

(September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BK
bkman1990
The date of the GE will dominate tonight's edition of Newsnight; but I just read on my EPG tonight they have a preview of The Grenfell Tower inquiry report to report on & probably discuss afterwards in studio as well. So a busy night is in store for the staff on Newsnight on BBC Two tonight.
BR
Brekkie
The date of the GE will dominate tonight's edition of Newsnight; but I just read on my EPG tonight they have a preview of The Grenfell Tower inquiry report to report on as well. So a busy night is in store for the staff on Newsnight on BBC Two tonight.

Sadly and perhaps conveniently the Grenfell report won't get the airtime it warrants, though from what we've seen so far sickens me how the true heroes of the night have been made the scapegoats for wider political and social failings. I guess it'll get a dedicated programme though somewhere in the schedules.
BBI45, bkman1990 and London Lite gave kudos
MA
Markymark
The date of the GE will dominate tonight's edition of Newsnight; but I just read on my EPG tonight they have a preview of The Grenfell Tower inquiry report to report on as well. So a busy night is in store for the staff on Newsnight on BBC Two tonight.

Sadly and perhaps conveniently the Grenfell report won't get the airtime it warrants, though from what we've seen so far sickens me how the true heroes of the night have been made the scapegoats for wider political and social failings. I guess it'll get a dedicated programme though somewhere in the schedules.

Enquiries and post mortems regrettably often fail to consider actions that were made, and had to be made instantly

Well worth watching the movie Sully (about the Hudson River crash landing) in the context of the present 737 max issue
Last edited by Markymark on 31 October 2019 8:29am
CU
Cusack
Quick question for those more in the know than me. Why, when the show has three presenters in Kirsty, Emily and Emma, does Mark Urban present a lot of shows, especially on Fridays?
GM
GMc
Quick question for those more in the know than me. Why, when the show has three presenters in Kirsty, Emily and Emma, does Mark Urban present a lot of shows, especially on Fridays?

Gender equality?
CA
Cando

All the presenters at the BBC have a contract for a certain number of episodes /shifts per year. If you want them for any more it has to be paid out of your show budget. This is why Huw Edwards went missing for most of the Summer so he could be around for more shifts at Brexit time.

Kirsty has previously said in interviews she does 50 a year, I assume Emma does the same. If Emily does 100/100. Then there will be 50 for subs
AS
AlexS
Cando posted:

It doesn't matter how many presenters it has. All the presenters at the BBC have a contract for a certain number of episodes /shifts per year. If you want them for anymore it has to be paid out of your show budget. This is why Huw Edwards went missing for most of the Summer so he could be around for more shifts at Brexit time.

Kirsty has previously said in interviews she does 50 a year, I assume Emma does the same. If Emily does 100. Then there will be 50 for subs

When Emma joined it was said she was contracted for 20 and that both Kirsty and Emily had increased their number of programmes so the 50 for Kirsty may well now be a higher figure, and there are also episodes that are duel presented from the studio and on location which will count towards two peoples contracted days.
JO
Jonwo
Emma has also been away from promoting her new book so I imagine that mean that can do more episodes of Newsnight but I think they have to fit that around her 5 Live show.
CU
Cusack
AlexS posted:
Cando posted:

It doesn't matter how many presenters it has. All the presenters at the BBC have a contract for a certain number of episodes /shifts per year. If you want them for anymore it has to be paid out of your show budget. This is why Huw Edwards went missing for most of the Summer so he could be around for more shifts at Brexit time.

Kirsty has previously said in interviews she does 50 a year, I assume Emma does the same. If Emily does 100. Then there will be 50 for subs

When Emma joined it was said she was contracted for 20 and that both Kirsty and Emily had increased their number of programmes so the 50 for Kirsty may well now be a higher figure, and there are also episodes that are duel presented from the studio and on location which will count towards two peoples contracted days.

That doesn't make sense to me. You have three presenters but they aren't contracted to present the number of shows that are broadcast, so they have to bring other presenters in.
JW
JamesWorldNews
AlexS posted:
Cando posted:

That doesn't make sense to me. You have three presenters but they aren't contracted to present the number of shows that are broadcast, so they have to bring other presenters in.

Just like British Airways knows their flying schedule, maintenance schedule and also make an allowance for delays and disruptions of all sorts. Yet, despite all this, they still don’t have enough aircraft to cater to their business. So they lease-in as and when necessary to fulfill the entire schedule. (Albeit a small fraction of the entire fleet is accounted for by leased in aircraft). But it gives them the flexibility of reduced fixed costs and depreciable overheads by always having a variable element to the operation.

Newsnight’s roster is the same thing on a smaller scale. Commercial reasons are behind every such decision. Mark Urban is the leased aircraft for a few flights per month. It saves Newsnight from having to buy a 777 that will only be partially used and sit in the hangar for most of the month.
BR
Brekkie
Not sure if ratings have improved, and if they have it is likely to be just as much to do with the current climate as the hosts, but Newsnight does feel alot more settled now and as is so often the case they've finally given the "main" role to the person who should have got it initially after bringing an outsider in didn't really pay off.
JosiahStuart and msim gave kudos

12 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
Prince Andrew/Jeffrey Epstein: Emily Maitlis has scooped an exclusive interview with Prince Andrew, to be shown on Saturday night at 9pm.

The interview was recorded at Buckingham Palace.

Interesting that the Royal Family have given this interview to a heavyweight.

Newer posts