TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Just to ask Is the UKTV name staying since BBC now controls it all? Also what's the deal with the UKTV stings on the Food network?

UKTV name is staying (it's a subsidiary inside BBC Studios) UKTV stings on Food Network? Could you elaborate a bit more?

Just to ask Is the UKTV name staying since BBC now controls it all? Also what's the deal with the UKTV stings on the Food network?

UKTV is staying as a subsidiary of BBC Studios.

Part of the sale of the former UKTV channels to Discovery was that UKTV's sales provider Channel 4 would continue to sell airtime on Really, Home and Good Food, with the merger of GF with Food Network, I'd assume UKTV trails and ads are now under that part of the agreement.

Correct! UKTV Creative still make promos for ex-UKTV channels (Really, Home) for the moment, with Discovery promos being sent over.
Last edited by dbl on 19 September 2019 8:33am
:-(
A former member
Its the UKTV original sting before the programmes, It just strange seeing brand new series out of the box still having this kept in on Foodnetwork.
KE
kernow
Its the UKTV original sting before the programmes, It just strange seeing brand new series out of the box still having this kept in on Foodnetwork.

It may have been produced before the closure of Good Food was confirmed, and no one has edited it out.
JA
JAS84
Heck, before Discovery took full control of Good Food, even. After that point they would've known that Good Food, Home, and Really were leaving UKTV (they move over from UKTV's online catchup service to the Discovery-owned Quest's next month, right?)
NG
noggin Founding member

It's important to be clear when using 'BBC' to discuss this stuff.

UKTV is now a part of BBC Studios (which is the combined company formed by BBC Worldwide and the non-Sport, non-News, non-Kids, non-National/Regional arms of BBC Productions). This itself is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC - like BBC Studioworks. In some ways - think of BBC Studios as an independent production company that happens to be owned by the BBC (like Endemol/Shine or Tinopolis)

There is a significant separation between BBC Public Service/BBC Content and BBC Studios (and thus UKTV). I don't think BBC Studios would be allowed to rebrand UKTV services as 'BBC' without doing a deal with their owner, BBC Public Service, and I doubt BBC Public Service would want (or Ofcom allow?) BBC branded services to carry commercial advertising within the UK.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member

It's important to be clear when using 'BBC' to discuss this stuff.

UKTV is now a part of BBC Studios (which is the combined company formed by BBC Worldwide and the non-Sport, non-News, non-Kids, non-National/Regional arms of BBC Productions). This itself is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC - like BBC Studioworks. In some ways - think of BBC Studios as an independent production company that happens to be owned by the BBC (like Endemol/Shine or Tinopolis)

There is a significant separation between BBC Public Service/BBC Content and BBC Studios (and thus UKTV). I don't think BBC Studios would be allowed to rebrand UKTV services as 'BBC' without doing a deal with their owner, BBC Public Service, and I doubt BBC Public Service would want (or Ofcom allow?) BBC branded services to carry commercial advertising within the UK.

Which is why the UKTV brand came about in the first place - the original plan in 1997 had been to name the three new channels BBC Horizon, BBC Style and BBC Arena, and even when they launched, the presentation style was identical to that of the BBC channels.

31 days later

IS
Inspector Sands
Dave have a live voice-over/announcer tonight, Dave Gorman:

23 days later

VM
VMPhil
In a break from tradition (well, a four year old tradition at least), it appears UKTV will not be renaming Gold to 'Christmas Gold' this year.

LL
Larry the Loafer
I'm still annoyed they didn't just rebrand Dave and W as Frankincense and Myrrh.
DB
dbl
In a break from tradition (well, a four year old tradition at least), it appears UKTV will not be renaming Gold to 'Christmas Gold' this year.

Indeed, also don't expect anything major, pres wise just the current Christmas GOLD package rebadged.
:-(
A former member
I take it there is also no plans for any major rebranding any time soon? Dave is now nearly 7 years old ?
IS
Inspector Sands
I take it there is also no plans for any major rebranding any time soon? Dave is now nearly 7 years old ?

5 years: https://theident.gallery/dave-2014.php

Newer posts