TV Home Forum

GMB & This Morning to be extended-Official

From January 6th (November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Why is this SO HARD to understand? NO change to 09.25 switchover. ( weekend have not changed either) Remember Home and Away on Thames and LWT on Friday that crossed the switchover point with out anyone caring.

The adverts at 09.21 will go out as normal and 09.25 STV will take full control.

Unless someone can provide a doc to OFCOM stating a request to change this, this is storm in teacup.

So, it will change to 9.30 then?

No, ITV have outlined their new schedule from January 2020, and they would not have put it together knowing if OFCOM was going to slam them for it. The schedule announced for January 2020 will be it.

Are you sure about this?
:-(
A former member
From the article linked earlier:

Quote:
One of my biggest fears is staying the same - that’s when shows decline. This feels like the ideal opportunity for us to do something more ambitious.

Is it ambitious to stay with the same four shows and just extend them? Marketing bull explanation?
BR
Brekkie
All ITV have to do is make sure that any PSB requirements within the Lorraine show, if there are any, are within the Breakfast hours and done by 9.25am.

If the hours do change at any point I suspect it'll be a move to 5.30-9am - STV would have no reason to object to that as they benefit, gaining an extra break or two in the 9am hour and only losing dead time at night. ITV likely though not to push for any change yet though - far easier to do it once it's happening in practice.
RH
richard h

Quote:
One of my biggest fears is staying the same - that’s when shows decline. This feels like the ideal opportunity for us to do something more ambitious.

Is it ambitious to stay with the same four shows and just extend them? Marketing bull explanation?

Agreed there is nothing ambitious about it at all. its lazy and yes it might rate better than anything else in the slot but itv desperately needs some rotation of shows before people become sick of seeing the same thing 52 weeks of the year. they rely on the same shows week in week out all year round and now they are just going to have even more of the same. It would have been nice to see the 9:25 slot have some form of rotation. What I like about the BBC 1 morning schedule is its constantly changing every 1-6 weeks you get new programmes in that slot. They may be of similar content but it feels fresh having 4 weeks of rip off Britain followed by 3 weeks of cimewatch roadshow, followed by a week of countryfile diaries etc.

The afternoon slot is always taken up with tipping point and the chase at 5pm nearly every week of the year. They only real rotation is in the 2-4 slot and if they put judge rinder on every week for the year I will simply stop watching that completely. I think its past its best now and increasingly they have silly cases and people who just want to be on tv. surprised they have taken the chase off until next year but its on way too much that I stopped watching it after 7 years because I got bored of seeing the same thing 48 weeks of the year. I used to like the variety of programmes they showed during the afternoon which changed throughout the year. 6-8 weeks is a nice length to commit to a chat show or a quiz and then have something new and to look forward to the next series when it returns later in the year
PE
PurpleEquinox
ITV are being crafty here. If you've ever watched this morning on catchup and fast forward through the ads and the competitions you can have it watched in about an hour and 10 minutes. It's a chance for them to throw more adverts in.

Eh? Presumably there'll be the same number of ad breaks as they have now, just more in This Morning

I wonder if they'll do a throw from Lorraine to This Morning as they do from GMB to Lorraine?

Should be no problem, as they are next door to each other

As soon as Lorraine ends, they start changing sets to Loose Women so a throw will be unlikely.

I think it's good that shows are now starting and ending on the hour, it was quite weird as some shows started at odd times during the hour, so this will make the schedule cleaner in my opinion.
:-(
A former member
The chase is coming off in a week or two for another show!
JO
Jonwo

Quote:

Agreed there is nothing ambitious about it at all. its lazy and yes it might rate better than anything else in the slot but itv desperately needs some rotation of shows before people become sick of seeing the same thing 52 weeks of the year. they rely on the same shows week in week out all year round and now they are just going to have even more of the same. It would have been nice to see the 9:25 slot have some form of rotation. What I like about the BBC 1 morning schedule is its constantly changing every 1-6 weeks you get new programmes in that slot. They may be of similar content but it feels fresh having 4 weeks of rip off Britain followed by 3 weeks of cimewatch roadshow, followed by a week of countryfile diaries etc.

The afternoon slot is always taken up with tipping point and the chase at 5pm nearly every week of the year. They only real rotation is in the 2-4 slot and if they put judge rinder on every week for the year I will simply stop watching that completely. I think its past its best now and increasingly they have silly cases and people who just want to be on tv. surprised they have taken the chase off until next year but its on way too much that I stopped watching it after 7 years because I got bored of seeing the same thing 48 weeks of the year. I used to like the variety of programmes they showed during the afternoon which changed throughout the year. 6-8 weeks is a nice length to commit to a chat show or a quiz and then have something new and to look forward to the next series when it returns later in the year

The reality is that daytime is very repetitive but from a commercial POV, it's more economic to have a huge volume of one show as it's a lot cheaper.
Last edited by Jonwo on 12 November 2019 9:50pm
IS
Inspector Sands

I wonder if they'll do a throw from Lorraine to This Morning as they do from GMB to Lorraine?

As soon as Lorraine ends, they start changing sets to Loose Women so a throw will be unlikely.

I think you've misunderstood, I meant a handover like they currently do at 8:30. That is perfectly possible, no problem with set changes

Thinking about it I would have thought they will, the Lorraine/This Morning junction coincides with the start of Homes Under The Hammer. Carry the audience over
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

The reality is that daytime is very repetitive but from a commercial POV, it's cheaper to have a huge volume of one show as it's a lot cheaper.

Most of the BBC's line up is often repeats too and several series are basically clones of each other. What ITV have found out the hard way though is having such a rigid schedule makes it difficult to fill the gaps when one show fails.
JK
JKDerry
Looking at daytime television in the states, ITV's programmes look reasonable. US daytime schedules are poor and also vary depending on where you live.

Typical NBC daytime schedule:

5.00am - Local Morning News Programmes
7.00am - NBC Today Show
9.00am - Today Show 3rd Hour
10.00am - Today with Hoda and Jenna
11.00am - Local News and Local Programmes
12.00pm - Days of Our Lives
1.00pm - Access Daily
2.00pm - The Kelly Clarkson Show
3.00pm - The Ellen DeGeneres Show
4.00pm - Local News Programmes
6.30pm - NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt

Not a thrilling line up here from WNBC 4 in New York
AS
Ash101
The chase is coming off in a week or two for another show!

It’s off now for Cash Trapped. Looks like Tennable is off for a new 3pm quiz in 2 weeks according to ITV Press Office.
MR
mr_vivian
Eh? Presumably there'll be the same number of ad breaks as they have now, just more in This Morning

I think it's good that shows are now starting and ending on the hour, it was quite weird as some shows started at odd times during the hour, so this will make the schedule cleaner in my opinion.

I agree - this morning was starting at 10:27am ish - it's not really starting at 10:30am anymore

Newer posts