TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
They've been misfortune enough to have been greeted with a power failure at Harrogate - kick-off has been delayed until 20.40. BT are filling with highlights of the weekend's matches.

Well, this was great fun, over an hour and a half of frantic filling by Matt Smith. I loved "we'll have more of the life and times of Michael Owen and Jon Stead after the break".

This wasn't quite as good as the Conference match a few seasons ago which was delayed by two hours because Grimsby's team bus was stuck in traffic, but still ace.
TI
tightrope78
Confirmation that the EBU (Eurovision) will be the media rights partner for the European Championships 2022, following the great success of the inaugural competition in 2018.

DO
dosxuk
They've been misfortune enough to have been greeted with a power failure at Harrogate - kick-off has been delayed until 20.40. BT are filling with highlights of the weekend's matches.

Well, this was great fun, over an hour and a half of frantic filling by Matt Smith. I loved "we'll have more of the life and times of Michael Owen and Jon Stead after the break".

This wasn't quite as good as the Conference match a few seasons ago which was delayed by two hours because Grimsby's team bus was stuck in traffic, but still ace.

Power cut caused by the football match none-the-less

SP
Steve in Pudsey
Or possibly the TV coverage caused it? Additional floodlighting for example? I presume the trucks were on generator power.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I suspect the appalling weather in the area was more culpable, getting in the circuitry of the heavily, but not overloaded, supply.
FU
fusionlad Founding member
BBC Sport connected app now integrated into Sky Q from today.

Press red on a BBC channel, (wait) and select Sport.
BR
Brekkie
Confirmation that the EBU (Eurovision) will be the media rights partner for the European Championships 2022, following the great success of the inaugural competition in 2018.

The only choice. These did well enough in 2018 compared to the European Games which nobody knows exists.
SW
Steve Williams

Speaking of this match, I do not feel Jeff Stelling comes across very well in this Twitter exchange...

As a couple of people have mentioned in the replies, I also had to double check it was his real account.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
That's a shame, always thought Jeff was alright but he comes across really terribly there. "I don't like playing by the rules", I'd like to see him try doing a sweary version of Soccer Saturday one afternoon and see how that goes.
NW
nwtv2003
That account isn’t verified but a lot of Jeff’s colleagues such as Chris Kamara and Matt LeTissier seem to interact with it. He had a pop at Michael Owen the other day and didn’t come across too well then.
MI
Michael
Michael Owen really is a douche though. In this case I feel Jeff was railing against the compliance rules which are patently ridiculous and pander to the *true* snowflakes in society - namely outraged boomers from Taunton with nothing better to do than complain to Ofcom. The BT guy thought he was being targeted personally, probably from being tagged in the tweet by a third-party sh*t stirrer, and you have a classic Twitter beef-off.

I suspect there's bad blood between BT and Sky anyway due to the unbearable smugness of the former and the increasing ridiculousness of the latter.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I can't imagine ofcom would entertain a complaint about swearing after the watershed that is picked up on atmos mics at a football match.

Yes there are kids watching, but who would be apologising to kids present at the match? I would have thought ofcom would take the view that it would not exceed the audience's expectations, as they put it.

That said, a quick apology does no real harm (other than drawing attention to it) and may avoid complaints.

Newer posts