TV Home Forum

Supermarket Sweep (pretty much) confirmed to return

(July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MR
mr_vivian
Such a shame they couldn't keep elements of the original theme. Surely you could jazz it up?

The new version is forgettable.
GO
gottago
The fact they had so many nods to the original but didn't do the same with the theme tune makes me wonder if they couldn't obtain the rights to the original music.
MD
MrDexB
The main Twitter comments I read last night ranged from simply "I love Rylan" to "God, these contestants are thick", but not a lot about the actual show itself, format, etc.

I think that's a good thing, that the comments aren't so overly critical.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
I take it now the show is for ITV2 there won't be any contestants over 30 years of age?
MR
mr_vivian
I take it now the show is for ITV2 there won't be any contestants over 30 years of age?

Yes I picked up on this. Totally wrong way to go. I suspect some of these may not have even applied - they were probably fished off instagram.
PF
PFML84
Are every team going to consist of boy/girl, boy/boy and girl/girl to keep it equal?
MR
mr_vivian
It was twins tonight
LL
London Lite Founding member

Alas my comments previously about the change to Coach Trip when it moved to E4.

60 days later

SS
SuperSajuuk
I stopped watching the programme a few weeks ago. Simply put, it became a show I could forget due to it being on a non-standard channel (ITV2), and the feeling that it dragged on way way too much. Also the variety of contestants was low, they were all pretty much 20-30 year olds, which meant most of them wouldn't know the answer to half of the questions or often came out with very silly answers. For a while it was funny, but then it just became heavily predictable and less enjoyable.

I think if they bring it back properly, they should put it on their main channel for higher exposure, and expand the type of contestants who apply. Millionaire came back in the last couple years and they have been doing fine keeping with the tried and tested method of allowing anyone of age to apply and see how they do, rather than picking contestants from a specific age group.

Unpopular opinion to some, but I felt Rylan was a good host for the programme.
GB
Gary Baldy
I stopped watching the programme a few weeks ago. Simply put, it became a show I could forget due to it being on a non-standard channel (ITV2), and the feeling that it dragged on way way too much. Also the variety of contestants was low, they were all pretty much 20-30 year olds, which meant most of them wouldn't know the answer to half of the questions or often came out with very silly answers. For a while it was funny, but then it just became heavily predictable and less enjoyable.

I think if they bring it back properly, they should put it on their main channel for higher exposure, and expand the type of contestants who apply. Millionaire came back in the last couple years and they have been doing fine keeping with the tried and tested method of allowing anyone of age to apply and see how they do, rather than picking contestants from a specific age group.

Unpopular opinion to some, but I felt Rylan was a good host for the programme.

Half the contestants on the current show aren’t even old enough to remember Dale’s version.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Everyone's old enough to remember naff gameshows thanks to Challenge and YouTube.
BR
Brekkie
I stopped watching the programme a few weeks ago.

Well it finished a few weeks ago so that makes sense.

Maybe I'm giving ITV too much credit here but the show and the concept is just not good enough for the main channel nowadays.

Newer posts