TV Home Forum

Noel on Strike

And other Noel-related gubbins, by the looks of it (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
But the micro wave receive dishes are not at the top of the mast as the tv transmitting aerials are ...they are quite low down
. so you may not have a path ... I remember many a happy hour with 4/3 earths radius and terrain maps ... and a bit of local knowledge as to where trees were on a hill !!

Indeed.

http://admin.mb21.co.uk/tx/userimages/6018proc20111001034804.jpg

Here's some on the mast at Croydon, spot the ITN one
Steve in Pudsey and bilky asko gave kudos
CO
commseng
The mast head receivers at the Crystal Palace transmitter were at 450', which had a lovely view, but the main UHF tx antennas are at 880' if I remember correctly.
Like Technologist I have spent may a happy hour or so with OS maps, graph paper, and when required a visit to see if any new tall buildings had appeared, or there were local obstructions at either end of a link. Computers have made it a far quicker job, as has the likes of Google Earth. Not foolproof though.
MA
Markymark
The mast head receivers at the Crystal Palace transmitter were at 450', which had a lovely view, but the main UHF tx antennas are at 880' if I remember correctly.

The top is about 750 ft I think

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1&pageid=706

Here's a French language elevation of the mast
The SHF links were at 134m I think?
CO
commseng
No idea where I got 880' from then.
The receive dishes were always refered to as being at the 450' level, although as you say they seem to be a little lower than that.
Still a great view from there though. Must go into the loft and see if I can find an NTV example.
:-(
A former member
One of, if not the best episode of series 7

Last edited by A former member on 12 November 2019 6:17pm

33 days later

IS
Inspector Sands
Reposting from the Twitter/social media thread.....

On a recent episode of Richard Herring's podcast Annabel Giles talks about her failed Gotcha, she was the only person to catch them out:
https://youtu.be/uxP8vhioQtw?t=3045 (starts at 50:45)
Interesting that the camera was watchable live by the team, I assumed it would just record locally

The actual thing can be seen here:
https://youtu.be/jwgrCeglnk4

But the more interesting NHP related news is that Greg Scott has posted the script for Richard Whiteleys Gotcha on Twitter:
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 15 December 2019 7:41am - 2 times in total
NG
noggin Founding member
Reposting from the Twitter/social media thread.....

On a recent episode of Richard Herring's podcast Annabel Giles talks about her failed Gotcha, she was the only person to catch them out:
https://youtu.be/uxP8vhioQtw?t=3045 (starts at 50:45)
Interesting that the camera was watchable live by the team, I assumed it would just record locally

Quite a few Gotchas were recorded studio or OB multicamera, so the production team would have seen them in the gallery or scanner when they were recording.

Many of the scenarios involved presenters booked for unusual presenting gigs - and in those days studios and OBs wouldn't have routinely used camcorders (so having them would have been a bit suspect)
Last edited by noggin on 15 December 2019 10:18am
IS
Inspector Sands

Quite a few Gotchas were recorded studio or OB multicamera, so the production team would have seen them in the gallery or scanner when they were recording.

Yes, though this was in a car in various locations with a 'comms van' following. I'm surprised they could have the feed from them mini camera fed back to it as well as the microphones and talkback.

Easy these days of course
JO
Johnr
Interesting she didn’t know Noel was going to send her on a trip around the house as revenge which wrecked her favourite boots!

36 days later

BU
buster

Andy's put up the first of his studio tapes, the end of the infamous series 7. What is notable is that Noel spends the entire show making no commitment to it ever coming back, and it's only when off the air that he says they'll be back in the autumn. His last lines "that was the House Party, thanks for making it so special" could easily have been for the final show. I wonder if he suspected that even with a commission in the bag, there was no guarantee it would actually be House Party that aired in the slot come the autumn.

Shame about the (entirely fictitious) Highgrove Images copyright notice on top of the footage, mind.

66 days later

VM
VMPhil
This thread hasn't been posted in a while, I thought I'd try and get it going again as I've always found it a fascinating discussion even if I don't have much nostalgia for NHP myself

The uploads are now up to the last series. This latest one features a really terrible Gotcha with Trevor McDonald. He does not look pleased at all at being stitched up and doesn't appear on the live show for the usual chat…

CO
commseng
I only looked at the gotcha.
It is self indulgent, dreadful stereotypes, not funny and just awful to watch.
The programme was definately on its way out at this point.

Newer posts