The Newsroom

2019 General Christmas election.

12th December: NO drama just presentation. (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jonwo posted:
It’s interesting that they’ve put most of the debates and QT specials on a Friday. I assume it’ll be airing at 19:30 or 20:30

Of course, because there is no way the BBC will move Graham Norton Show for this debate.

Why on earth would they want to air the debat at 10:35 on a Friday night anyway?
RK
Rkolsen
Could someone explain to me why the BBC can’t build an elections hub at NBH? Is it the shear number of feeds coming it that can’t be handled or space?

Presumably space. BH is rammed to the gunnels already, the idea of having a fairly large office space and technical space that sits there empty for most of the time just won't be practical.

There's plenty of space at Elstree and that is where the big studio that is normally used for general elections is, so that's where they put it.

Then my next question would be: are most staffers at NBH going to be working an Elstree for the election? Could there be an area for the equipment to be setup?
TI
TIGHazard
I guess this is kind of general election related. It wouldn't be happening without the GE being called.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/bbc-parliament-airs-donald-trump-impeachment-hearing-1202781215/

Quote:

The House Intelligence Committee evidence-gathering goes public on November 13 and will be shown on BBC Parliament, which usually brings audiences live action from the British Houses of Parliament.

However, because a December 12 election has been called in the UK — the first December election since 1923 — Parliament has been dissolved, meaning the BBC is looking for content to fill BBC Parliament’s schedule. To this end, the channel will go live from Washington D.C. next week.

MA
mapperuo
Having a quick peak around on google maps, I only see one satellite dish on Elstree Studio D vs a few dozen on NBH. Now I know most election OBs are over IP now, and Im sure the satellites on NBH are for other purposes, just surprised the Election stuff ended up in Elstree at all? I wonder if they send satellite signals from NBH to Elstree then back to NBH as video streams.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
That article seems to imply they struggle to fill BBC Parliament with material. Anyway its not unique to air "imported" programming, they simulcast the Washington Journal from C-Span for a start, which it looks like they've been doing since January 2007.

And I dare say it probably would have happened, just maybe not live.
BR
Brekkie
Would anybody notice the difference if they replace Would I Lie to You with an election debate? Laughing
030293 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The BBC has a satellite farm elsewhere in the vicinity of London. It's possible the satellite contributions are downlinked there and fibred to Elstree?
MA
Markymark
The BBC has a satellite farm elsewhere in the vicinity of London. It's possible the satellite contributions are downlinked there and fibred to Elstree?

It doesn't matter where geographically the signals are down linked, it's all digits and fibre now to get to the studio
JW
JamesWorldNews
Geissler versus Patterson....

BR
Brekkie
Will be interesting to see how BBC Scotland handle election coverage as didn't they usually show the network programme on BBC2. They could use BBC Scotland or just leave it to BBC News I guess.
TH
Thistle
Will be interesting to see how BBC Scotland handle election coverage as didn't they usually show the network programme on BBC2. They could use BBC Scotland or just leave it to BBC News I guess.

BBC Scotland will simulcast the BBC One Scotland programme.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Great use of bandwidth.
Markymark and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts