The Newsroom

2019 General Christmas election.

12th December: NO drama just presentation. (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
If the BBC will be using Studio B at Broadcasting House for the general election coverage, when do you think Newsnight and other programmes which use the studio will be kicked out, so to get the studio ready for Thursday 12th December?

I assume this will be the studio, and Elstree is not going to be used?

Thanks.
SO
southern_boy
If the BBC will be using Studio B at Broadcasting House for the general election coverage, when do you think Newsnight and other programmes which use the studio will be kicked out, so to get the studio ready for Thursday 12th December?

Thanks.

The Election only requires the ‘soft’ half of B. NN & WN can keep using the ‘hard’ half for virtually the whole time the results aren’t on-air.
BR
Brekkie

Thanks.

They will not be kicked out of the studio based on your assumption. There has been no indication at all it's not coming from Elstree as of yet.
GE
thegeek Founding member

Thanks.

The Election only requires the ‘soft’ half of B. NN & WN can keep using the ‘hard’ half for virtually the whole time the results aren’t on-air.

...except for all the time they'll need for rehearsals, if indeed Studio B is being used.
Last edited by thegeek on 8 November 2019 5:10am
JK
JKDerry

Thanks.

They will not be kicked out of the studio based on your assumption. There has been no indication at all it's not coming from Elstree as of yet.

There were people on the forum saying Elstree would not be used this election. Someone asking about already booked productions in Studio D - I myself feel Studio D will be used, but others have said not - so, this is why I was asking about Studio B.
SO
southern_boy
Elstree will only be used as the back-end for all of the OBs, and not appear on-screen. Expect to see A, B, and a few other locations around NBH...
Charlie Wells and Josh gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member

Thanks.

...except for all the time they'll need for rehearsals, if indeed PCR B is being used.

Just an aside if I may.... I didn't know the BBC uses the term "PCR". I'm familiar with it from ITN - in fact they also use the abbreviation "SCR" for Sound Control Room. Is that just a change since the move to BH or was it the same at TVC? I only ever heard control rooms at TVC referred to as a "gallery".
TE
Technologist
Gallery as a collective term for from left to right get looking from the studio floor
SCR, PCR , V&LCR for classic TVC centre studios ....
GE
thegeek Founding member

...except for all the time they'll need for rehearsals, if indeed PCR B is being used.

Just an aside if I may.... I didn't know the BBC uses the term "PCR".
indeed they don't - I think I may have been distracted by a call on talkback at a place that *does* have PCRs. Now corrected Smile
itsrobert and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
Could someone explain to me why the BBC can’t build an elections hub at NBH? Is it the shear number of feeds coming it that can’t be handled or space?

In other news there haven’t been any planning documents submitted to the City of Westminster about any projections onto the facade either on the exterior street side or inside the piazza nor any high tech map that they had outside before.
IS
Inspector Sands
Could someone explain to me why the BBC can’t build an elections hub at NBH? Is it the shear number of feeds coming it that can’t be handled or space?

Presumably space. BH is rammed to the gunnels already, the idea of having a fairly large office space and technical space that sits there empty for most of the time just won't be practical.

There's plenty of space at Elstree and that is where the big studio that is normally used for general elections is, so that's where they put it.
ST
Ste Founding member
BM11 posted:

Now he has been removed as a candidate due to remarks he made about rape, I wonder if he will now no longer able to go back to his radio job.

Newer posts