TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Selling out the Challenge Cup made no sense last year when it would have boosted the FTA package nicely to add one match per round along with the main Champions Cup rights.
RO
robertclark125
Although I have BT Sport, my concern for those who haven't, is the lack of a proper FTA highlights package on Channel 4 of the weekends games. A Channel 5 style show, using BT commentators, would suffice.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Although I have BT Sport, my concern for those who haven't, is the lack of a proper FTA highlights package on Channel 4 of the weekends games. A Channel 5 style show, using BT commentators, would suffice.

Yes, I assume a highlights package was offered as Virgin Media Ireland have a full highlights show shown first on Virgin Media Sport then repeated on Virgin Media One or Virgin Media Two.

Selling out the Challenge Cup made no sense last year when it would have boosted the FTA package nicely to add one match per round along with the main Champions Cup rights.

I agree for years UEFA sold Champions League & UEFA Cup/Europa League separately which is why you always seen Champions League on ITV/Sky but the secondary competition was shown a mix of BT/ITV4/Channel 5 and before then you had matches all over the place but when BT got the exclusive rights they had to show all the Europa League as well to get the Champions League, surely ECPR could have said to Channel 4 you get the pick of the Champions Cup but have to show 1 or 2 Challenge Cup matches even if it was or have to show a full highlights package on Channel 4 or More 4. They should have done the same to BT Sport and say you have to show all matches on BT Sport Interactive Services or even BT Sport ESPN if they had too much live sport on, the treatment of the Challenge Cup has been a downside since Sky Sports lost the rights.
Last edited by toby lerone 2016 on 6 November 2019 11:16pm
RD
rdd Founding member
It’s been particularly tough on Connacht fans used to having all their Pro14 games televised (TG4 heavily favour Connacht in their FTA picks) but when in the Challenge Cup (as they have more typically been) they have not made TV appearances till the quarter finals (this was the case even with the old regular Thursday night live TV game, which was usually an English v French encounter). They are in the Heineken Cup this year so it’s not an issue.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I went past Dulwich Hamlet FC yesterday where the trucks were already parked up in the car park next to the Champion Hill stadium for Friday's FA Cup 1st Round match against Carlisle United which is being shown on BBC2.
NT
Night Thoughts
I went past Dulwich Hamlet FC yesterday where the trucks were already parked up in the car park next to the Champion Hill stadium for Friday's FA Cup 1st Round match against Carlisle United which is being shown on BBC2.

Extra lighting installed too...

BR
Brekkie
Doesn't look like C4 are showing the Para Athletics World Champs this year - certainly not live anyway.
NT
Night Thoughts
A little more on those Dulwich Hamlet floodlights (granted, the ground is at the top of a hill and only about three/four miles from the City...)

LL
London Lite Founding member
It's never normally that bright up there. DHFC will appreciate the flashlights used tomorrow instead of what they usually have.

The ground is actually on the side of a hill, with Sainsbury's as neighbours. Not something you'd see normally, a ground that has a superstore as neighbours. (Sainsbury's bought the site from Hamlet in the early 90s and built the current stadium as part of the deal).

Sainsbury's will probably restrict access to their car park tomorrow evening which has been the case with other big Hamlet games. For normal matches when they're playing Wealdstone and the likes, it's business as usual.
SW
Steve Williams
Doesn't look like C4 are showing the Para Athletics World Champs this year - certainly not live anyway.

They showed clips on Breakfast this morning billed as "pictures from Channel 4", so presumably it's on the website.
TI
TIGHazard

I'm pretty sure I saw "Para Athletics Dubai 2019 Highlights" on either Saturday or Sunday listed on digiguide. Not there any longer though.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
It's streaming on the Channel 4 website, I've seen a few clips pop up on their social media feeds.

Newer posts