WW Update
Prva TV in Serbia has a new look:

BBI45 and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
WW
WW Update
How the set was built:

EL
elmarko
The way the NZBC network news worked before they were all linked up is absolutely fascinating:

Quote:

The NZBC's microwave network between facilities was very much ad-hoc. Due to a shortage of microwave links, the network was completed by "off air" hops, where a 100 kW regional transmitter was received and re-transmitted by another. The network news was made possible by switching inputs to the regional transmitters, so that a signal could be relayed across the country. For instance, the Te Aroha regional transmitter for Hamilton could be switched away from Auckland programming to relay off-air, the Wellington signal coming up the country. Auckland then could see Wellington via Te Aroha. The non-synchronous switching was done manually initially and later with tone switching. During the network news presented from Wellington, if an inject was required from Auckland, Auckland would switch from transmitting Wellington pictures to transmitting, briefly a black screen with a small white "A" in the corner. Then each transmitter down the country would have to switch over so that the "A" would eventually appear in Wellington and beyond. Once all centres could see the "A" caption, the Auckland inject would be played. At the end of the item, the process would be reversed with a "W" for Wellington being switched sequentially, and then finally the Wellington presenter would appear again in all centres. The viewer would see a black non-synchronous switch which would take a second or so. Eagle-eyed viewers could see the identification letters change on the corner of the screen. Those with poor vertical hold would have to wait a little longer for the picture to stabilise. Occasionally, a transmitter would be switched out of sequence and the viewers would be treated to the sight of 100 kW of video feedback.
deejay, commseng and WW Update gave kudos
OM
Omnipresent
ABC Australia has, subject to rights, removed its geoblock on much of its streaming content:

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/the-walls-came-tumbling-down-abc-iview-goes-global-20191031-p5366x.html

Quote:
The global barriers to the ABC’s popular iView streaming app will tumble, with the national broadcaster announcing it will drop the geoblock and parts of its content being viewed from outside Australia. The move means the service will become a defacto ABC Australia “world service”, streaming the ABC News Channel internationally, as well as offering an on-demand library of content to which the ABC owns worldwide rights, including programs such as Q&A, Four Corners, Insiders, Media Watch, Foreign Correspondent, The Drum, Australian Story, BTN, Catalyst and Gardening Australia.
Mouseboy33 and cityprod gave kudos
CI
cityprod
ABC Australia has, subject to rights, removed its geoblock on much of its streaming content:

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/the-walls-came-tumbling-down-abc-iview-goes-global-20191031-p5366x.html

Quote:
The global barriers to the ABC’s popular iView streaming app will tumble, with the national broadcaster announcing it will drop the geoblock and parts of its content being viewed from outside Australia. The move means the service will become a defacto ABC Australia “world service”, streaming the ABC News Channel internationally, as well as offering an on-demand library of content to which the ABC owns worldwide rights, including programs such as Q&A, Four Corners, Insiders, Media Watch, Foreign Correspondent, The Drum, Australian Story, BTN, Catalyst and Gardening Australia.

This is excellent news. It never made sense to me why programmes the ABC made couldn't be viewed internationally. Looks like some common sense is actually taking hold.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The App (ABC iView) is already in the UK iOS store for iPhone and iPad, I believe a tvOS version is in the works too.
MO
Mouseboy33

Quote:

This is excellent news. It never made sense to me why programmes the ABC made couldn't be viewed internationally. Looks like some common sense is actually taking hold.

Exactly. Australia always seemed closed off. You couldnt get anything out of the country. They have had a open Youtube stream of ABCNewsChannel for the past year (i think). Previously it was always so difficult to get any news out of the country, especially live news streams for years because of paywalls and geoblocks. Seems like that would be the remit of a pubcasters like BBC, ABC & CBC. CBC keeps doesnt stream much outside of the country. its hard to see anything when you arent home as well. One of the only tv programme that streams regularly live is the National. The CBC news network is geoblocked.
WW
WW Update
The late news from RTL2 in Germany, 2002:

CI
cityprod
[quote="Mouseboy33" pid="1194540"]

quote]

Exactly. Australia always seemed closed off. You couldnt get anything out of the country. They have had a open Youtube stream of ABCNewsChannel for the past year (i think). Previously it was always so difficult to get any news out of the country, especially live news streams for years because of paywalls and geoblocks. Seems like that would be the remit of a pubcasters like BBC, ABC & CBC. CBC keeps doesnt stream much outside of the country. its hard to see anything when you arent home as well. One of the only tv programme that streams regularly live is the National. The CBC news network is geoblocked.

CBC News Network isn't geoblocked, it's a separate subscription. You actually have to pay to watch it. Same as CTV News Channel and CP24, both of those you need to pay a subscription for. Now call me crazy, but since when is a news channel an actual premium channel, that you should pay a subscription for? In my view, you shouldn't.
MO
Mouseboy33
[quote="cityprod" pid="1194551"]

CBC News Network isn't geoblocked, it's a separate subscription. You actually have to pay to watch it. Same as CTV News Channel and CP24, both of those you need to pay a subscription for. Now call me crazy, but since when is a news channel an actual premium channel, that you should pay a subscription for? In my view, you shouldn't.

Well then lets just say "FENCED OFF". Most of the network have walled off everything. One of the only local news broadcasts you can watch went you arent home is Citytv. Everything else is basically fenced off.
RK
Rkolsen
[quote="cityprod" pid="1194551"]

Those subscriptions AFAIK are TVGO ones where you have to login with your cable/satellite provider. If it’s like it is here in the US it’s geoblocked to only be in Canada.

Edit: CBC has CBC Gem for $4.99 which is geoblocked... https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/115003517273-Can-I-watch-CBC-content-on-the-CBC-Gem-app-if-I-m-outside-Canada-
MO
Mouseboy33
[quote="Rkolsen" pid="1194569"]

Those subscriptions AFAIK are TVGO ones where you have to login with your cable/satellite provider. If it’s like it is here in the US it’s geoblocked to only be in Canada.

Edit: CBC has CBC Gem for $4.99 which is geoblocked... https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/115003517273-Can-I-watch-CBC-content-on-the-CBC-Gem-app-if-I-m-outside-Canada-

Thanks for explaining it better than me. Its effectively geoblocked. Having said that CTV News recently made audio only available of CTV NewsChannel on thru iHeartRadio website. it doesnt seem to be avail thru the iHeartRadio App though.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 6 November 2019 4:29pm

Newer posts