The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
RDJ posted:
Roger Johnson and Simon pointing out the state of the NWT/Breakfast sofa on News Nationwide this evening.

It caused Roger to go and pull the fabric up to show a huge gaping hole.

Simon offered to come up to Salford with his sewing kit himself.

Are the purse strings at Auntie so tight they're now repeating old News Nationwide's. Wink
RN
Rolling News
RDJ posted:
Martine in The Papers just now marked that Lewis Hamilton’s F1 title win just makes her remember her camera mishap when he won the title before a few years ago.

She’s right! This was said mishap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHsoauynPM

And then of course this one a few days later

BR
Brekkie
RDJ posted:
Roger Johnson and Simon pointing out the state of the NWT/Breakfast sofa on News Nationwide this evening.

It caused Roger to go and pull the fabric up to show a huge gaping hole.

Simon offered to come up to Salford with his sewing kit himself.

Still so frustrating they have to put up with that set. Even the secondary sports studio, which used to look like a cupboard, looks pretty decent on screen now.
MI
m_in_m
I find it strange the sofa hasn't been replaced. This isn't recent damage. Are TV sofas very expensive?
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I find it strange the sofa hasn't been replaced. This isn't recent damage. Are TV sofas very expensive?

Just a guess, but they're probably bespoke. So that would come with added expense I'm sure.
CA
Capybara

I was told on the tour they hadn't replaced it because there was no need to. There was never a camera angle used that wouldn't have the desk covering the hole.
RK
Rkolsen

Just a guess, but they're probably bespoke. So that would come with added expense I'm sure.

I was told on the tour they hadn't replaced it because there was no need to. There was never a camera angle used that wouldn't have the desk covering the hole.

Those couches are likely bespoke - I know the old Today couches were. Here they are designed to look comfortable but it wouldn’t surprise me if the cushions are mainly wood with a little bit of padding to make it look soft topped with durable fabric. The shows need people to sit up properly and not sink in to a regular couch. That being said Today doesn’t really use the couches any more preferring stools or round table segments, I’ve noticed in the third hour it appears they maybe using a more “custom” standard sofa design (like a design you might see in a high end designer loft). The backs look hard (and are adorned with throw pillows) however a bit of the seat cushions appears to be more softer than there prior couches. That being you can see it compress a bit under the anchors weight.
MW
Mike W
The BBC Breakfast sofa is a very expensive custom build by Boss Design.

The regions favoured their 'Adda' sofas for years (I think these were premade and available in the right shade of red...). The one in the Salford visitors area cost the corporation a lot of money (the Daily Mail said £48k but I'd guess it was a lot lower).

Obviously colour, feet/legs etc are down to the client but if you've got a spare £20k kicking about and want to pretend to be Naga Munchetty go for it!
JW
JamesWorldNews
£20k to be Naga Munchetty?? Blimey!

How much does it cost to become BIG MOIRA
MW
Mike W
£20k to be Naga Munchetty?? Blimey!

How much does it cost to become BIG MOIRA

£70k, cheques made payable to Bail and Asa
JW
JamesWorldNews
Shall we CrowdFund?
BR
Brekkie
The BBC Breakfast sofa is a very expensive custom build by Boss Design.

The regions favoured their 'Adda' sofas for years (I think these were premade and available in the right shade of red...). The one in the Salford visitors area cost the corporation a lot of money (the Daily Mail said £48k but I'd guess it was a lot lower).

For £48k I'd expect the sofa to read the news.
Jory, Owen_ploc and Markymark gave kudos

Newer posts