TV Home Forum

Gay Byrne has died

Split from The Late Late Gay Byrne Irish Television Thread (November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Just been announced that Gay Byrne has died, aged 85.

JW
JamesWorldNews
Gay Byrne was a true legend of broadcasting. And a fine gentleman. RIP.
SH
Sh1ruba
rob posted:
Just been announced that Gay Byrne has died, aged 85.

Such a great loss of an Irish TV legend...

Rest in peace...
FO
FanOfTV99
I'm so saddened by this news.

A true irish legend. My thoughts are with Gay's friends and family at this time.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Worth giving this 30 minutes

Gay Byrne - Terry Wogan

The Meaning of Life

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3dwu5i
WH
Whataday Founding member
I know this thread is named after Gay but I can't help feeling this news should be split off into its own thread?
RO
rob Founding member
I know this thread is named after Gay but I can't help feeling this news should be split off into its own thread?

I have sent an RTP requesting this.
NL
Ne1L C
Nothing much I can add. Certainly one of the smoothest, most unflappable presenters and given the rather conservative nature of Irish television a very brave man. RIP.
TV
TVLand
RIP Gay Byrne, yet another TV legend taken away from us. RTÉ broadcasted a special news report when the news of Gay’s passing broke, and there will be a special edition of the Late Late Show tomorrow night as a tribute to Gay Byrne.

RO
rob Founding member
JK
JKDerry
Anyone remember Gay's Late Late Show being aired on Channel 4 at 5.00pm on the Monday after Friday transmission?

I remember it used to be a 50 minute edited version, focusing on British or international guests on the show.

It was a nice teatime show, and I remember watching it whilst living in the UK with mum and dad, as we could not get the Irish channels of course then, and seeing the show was a nice touch.
SuperDave, UKnews and davidhorman gave kudos
BK
bkman1990
I've only heard about Gay Byrne's passing on the Today show a short time ago on RTÉ One.

I cannot believe it. A true legend of Irish broadcasting is now gone from our shores.

He has lived a great career while while working with Radio Eireann & RTÉ throughout his lifetime.

The programmes he had done were something to be cherished from Irish people around the country & all over the globe.

The Today team from RTÉ Cork did a montage of him when the programme ended to make way for Nuacht RTÉ le TG4.

It was very well put together.

RIP Gay Byrne. You will never be forgotten.

Newer posts