TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
The trouble they have here though is you can get a 30 day free trial which covers it and gets your Christmas orders delivered free. They're basically giving away their most attractive services.

And how many of those people will forget to cancel? Do we even know if the 30 day trial will still be on offer over Christmas?
DV
dvboy
Jon posted:
The trouble they have here though is you can get a 30 day free trial which covers it and gets your Christmas orders delivered free. They're basically giving away their most attractive services.

And how many of those people will forget to cancel? Do we even know if the 30 day trial will still be on offer over Christmas?

I think the 30 day trial has been going for many years, I'd be surprised if they ended it suddenly ahead of Christmas given many people will sign up for it for the delivery perks.

If you forget to cancel and get charged, but haven't used it since you were charged, you can have it fully refunded.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Sometime ago when the deal was announced, AZPV inferred that their offer cycle would be unaffected. Whether this materialises is another matter. It wouldn't surprise me to see a stategic pause between 1st and 10th December for example so that those wanting to view the first batch would have to pay to join AZP, picking up new free trials for the second round only.

Has anyone here previously had AZP but has cancelled it in the last twelve months? I'd be interested to discover how many offers of a subsequent trial these customers have been offered since. I am not aware that they've ever offered those who've cancelled in the previous 12 months any further free trials. I suspect that those who've cancelled any time since last November would be fortunate indeed to get any such offer.
GE
thegeek Founding member
The maximum number of simultaneous matches is six ....

1930/2015 KOs on 4th December 2019 on AZPV
1500 KO's on 26th December 2019 on AZPV

I think I was thinking in terms of circuit requirements - you're right, only six matches will be in play at once. They'll still need 9 presentation teams on Boxing Day though!

One more of the other names is Derek Rae: https://twitter.com/RaeComm/status/1190232657147375617
(For some reason the tweet won't embed)
Last edited by thegeek on 1 November 2019 1:24pm
DV
DVB Cornwall
Have Discovery tightened the purse strings at Eurosport before their Olympic Year? I think they have, many more re-runs of previously broadcast content, at peak time and very little acquired filler in the last few weeks. Re-running last December and January's Four Hills Ski-Jumping event today is one of these retransmmissions. There's Giro, Tour and Vuelta re-runs next week too.
HC
Hatton Cross
Arent we just in a small live sport slump though?

Currently between the outdoor non winter sports, and the winter sport season which gets going in a couple of weeks time and help fill up the acres of schedules of Eurosport 1 and 2.

I'd rather them fill the gaps with reruns of proper sports, rather than the faithful 'not really sport' fillers of old - Tractor Pulling, Timbersports and Arm Wrestling.
DV
dvboy
BT Sport building up to their final WTA Tennis match on BT Sport 3 now. Hopefully there'll be something to mark the occasion at some point.
DV
dvboy
Fantastic montage to sign off with
AJ
AJB39
Sad to see both Men’s and Women’s tennis almost completely disappear from Linear TV.
TL
toby lerone 2016
AJB39 posted:
Sad to see both Men’s and Women’s tennis almost completely disappear from Linear TV.

I see what you mean but at least they aren't doing like Cricket & Golf did with hardly any live Free to Air coverage, you still get French Open on ITV4, Queens Club, Eastbourne & Wimbledon on BBC which makes for 6 live weeks of FTA in the Summer as well as the ATP Tour Finals on BBC from the 02 before it moves as well as hopefully the continuation of the Davis Cup rights on BBC this year.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Scottish League Cup final next month will be BT Sport's first (and likely only) Rangers v Celtic match - owing to Sky having had exclusive rights to the fixture in the league.
BR
Brekkie
AJB39 posted:

I see what you mean but at least they aren't doing like Cricket & Golf did with hardly any live Free to Air coverage, you still get French Open on ITV4, Queens Club, Eastbourne & Wimbledon on BBC which makes for 6 live weeks of FTA in the Summer as well as the ATP Tour Finals on BBC from the 02 before it moves as well as hopefully the continuation of the Davis Cup rights on BBC this year.

The revamped Davis Cup doesn't even deserve that name - to say it's a mess is an understatement. Denies fans an opportunity to see big names and meaningful matches outside of the main tournaments too - I'd have thought for the LTA the opportunity to have events away from Wimbledon, notably in Birmingham and Glasgow when it comes to the Davis Cup, was quite important.

Newer posts