TV Home Forum

Christmas Adverts 2019

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv

This looks like something BBC One would produce for their Christmas presentation

The rolling giant bauble did remind me of the 2006 BBC one rolling giant snowball.
It’s much better than BBC One’s last year imo, and oddly with all the little bits going on in this ASDA add it could be broken down into a series of idents.

Continuing with Christmas Ads, this one for Walkers has used Mariah Carey incredibly well...
CG
Charlie Gough
For a second I thought this could be the BBC One presentation for Christmas. Works really well.

BR
Brekkie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZnSLNld5Mc

It delivered the magic of Christmas to me. One of their better adverts of the past few years. Lovely, festive and magical... it’s just a shame that it’s only 2nd November.

This looks like something BBC One would produce for their Christmas presentation

Is that a compliment or an insult?
CR
Critique

The rolling giant bauble did remind me of the 2006 BBC one rolling giant snowball.
It’s much better than BBC One’s last year imo, and oddly with all the little bits going on in this ASDA add it could be broken down into a series of idents.

Continuing with Christmas Ads, this one for Walkers has used Mariah Carey incredibly well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvuS3Xz_q-8

How much effort actually goes into Walkers these days as a brand in its own right? In terms of advertising across the rest of the year the continued Gary Lineker stuff, and the recent Spice Girls campaign are surely for the UK only, but for the Christmas campaign I wonder if the above is just an edit of an advert that will be Lay's branded elsewhere? Mariah Carey's appeal for crisp advertising surely extends beyond the UK!

The English voices in the above could just have been dubbed with UK speakers, and there are only a few blink and you'll miss it shots where you actually see Mariah holding a packet of Walkers, which would be easy enough to reshoot or just edit so the right name is on the packaging!
JO
Jon
Can’t see a Lays (or Smiths) version of the ad yet. Regardless of whether it’s a UK only add clear there is still a lot of effort going into Walkers advertising.

I wonder if Gary Lineker has been quietly dropped as I haven’t seen him on a Walkers advert since the Spice Girls one launched and he’d usually make a cameo in all their ads.
FA
fanoftv
For a second I thought this could be the BBC One presentation for Christmas. Works really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4-VsJnUXE

I’ve just had that same thought when it appeared on tv. The rendition of the song is lovely, and something similar to what BBC One, and many retailers have been doing in recent years.

The nice thing that I’ve just spotted with that Very advert is that characters from the adverts from the past three years feature towards the end.
Last edited by fanoftv on 2 November 2019 11:17pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
How much effort actually goes into Walkers these days as a brand in its own right? In terms of advertising across the rest of the year the continued Gary Lineker stuff, and the recent Spice Girls campaign are surely for the UK only, but for the Christmas campaign I wonder if the above is just an edit of an advert that will be Lay's branded elsewhere? Mariah Carey's appeal for crisp advertising surely extends beyond the UK!

No, not at all. It's all Walkers.

It has always been said that PepsiCo doesn't fully get how Walkers' advertising campaigns have proved so successful. With Lays they prefer to position them as snacks which can be shared, which obviously goes against what we see in Walkers ads.

They see the Walkers ads as mean spirited, but they understand it works so have always just let them get on with it.
orange, DJ Dave and Critique gave kudos
JO
Jonwo

It has always been said that PepsiCo doesn't fully get how Walkers' advertising campaigns have proved so successful. With Lays they prefer to position them as snacks which can be shared, which obviously goes against what we see in Walkers ads.

They see the Walkers ads as mean spirited, but they understand it works so have always just let them get on with it.

They are mean spirited but you can get away with that sort of humour in the UK which I’m not sure translates as well overseas, the Dawn French Terry’s Orange ads from years ago is a great example of this
JO
Jon
Jonwo posted:

They are mean spirited but you can get away with that sort of humour in the UK which I’m not sure translates as well overseas, the Dawn French Terry’s Orange ads from years ago is a great example of this

That’s a pretty big generalisation of the rest of the world.
BA
bilky asko

One major difference between here and the US is that multipack crisps don't exist like they do here, which is a surprise at first given their seeming ubiquity.
GE
thegeek Founding member
With Lays they prefer to position them as snacks which can be shared, which obviously goes against what we see in Walkers ads.

Are individual bags of crisps not a fairly British/Irish thing? Whenever I'm in Europe it's mostly about the big sharing bags. Perhaps there's a link...
BR
Brekkie
Maybe we're not the gullible kind here but as nice as they are is anyone here actually influenced in their purchasing habits by any of the Christmas ads?

With supermarkets in particular I'm sure most of us go to our regular choice or the most convenient, not the one who sells the most perfect vision of Christmas?

Newer posts