TV Home Forum

Noel on Strike

And other Noel-related gubbins, by the looks of it (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
The framing on the close up shots of that Noel footage looks quite awkward though, looks more like 4:3 cropped to 16:9, if that had been cropped to 4:3 for broadcast it must have looked really cramped.

If it was from an HD trial of Noel's House Party, that wouldn't have been used for broadcast. They ran the limited HD trial productions alongside SD rather than down converting and 16:9->4:3 converting (which made looking to camera an issue...), or if the show was recorded did things twice if possible.

Skip to 11:40-12:16 on this video - this is the same episode as the clip shown in Tomorrow's World. Completely different camera angles and more close up shots than in the HD version.

BU
buster
Anyone remember the talk about the experimental HD/widescreen recording of Noel's House Party? Well, look what appears on the screen during this Tomorrow's World demonstration of PALplus:

(Skip to 22:24)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJm15LMQEHM

Also if you go back a bit from that start point, they show a clip of a widescreen version of the Only Fools and Horses 1991 Christmas special 'Miami Twice'.

Also an extremely wide shot with cameras, lights, crew, the works at 23:03 - this would never have made it to air during the show itself.
VM
VMPhil
If there's a widescreen version of Miami Twice, I wonder why it's never turned up on repeats over recent years? Especially as the version which is shown is 14:9 in a 4:3 frame.

I've compared the Tomorrow's World clip with the released 14:9 version of 'Miami Twice' and it appears that there isn't actually any extra picture - it's just the 14:9 version that's been stretched vertically to fill the 16:9 frame (in fact it's stretched a little bit more as there's a portion of the left of the picture that's been cut off). So, not a materially different 16:9 version, unfortunately.
:-(
A former member
When the changes fully took place!
paul_hadley, Colorman and watchingtv gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Oh dear, that NTV was a technical fault bonanza!

Noel: ‘Why didn’t we do that in the first place? It would have been so much simpler!’
XI
Xilla
The 2nd NTV reveal is still one of my favourite things ever broadcast!
WH
Whataday Founding member
Any chance people could give time codes when discussing events that occur in these whole episodes?
BA
bilky asko
Any chance people could give time codes when discussing events that occur in these whole episodes?

6:49-11:28
JA
jamesw83
It's interesting to see that the rather frantic reworking efforts essentially seemed to be to throw more celebrities and mess into things, and try to resort to more OTT OBs. In fact, I'm not sure how much of this directly survived into Series 8, aside from My Little Friend and Party Animals (albeit in a rather strange, and genuinely dangerous form with the trapdoor and the giant toilet, which I gather fractured someone's ankles).

Also, did I hear it correctly, or was Noel basically encouraging perving over the contestant in Secret World of the Teenager? Not sure if he was still a bit punchy over the various problems, but it seemed inappropriate.
IS
Inspector Sands
Intrigued seeing Sarah Alexander make an appearance on that episode. I assume it was in character rather than a personal appearance. Very odd and her joke didn't go down well.

That new NTV sting is just dreadful, completely the wrong tone for the programme
NL
Ne1L C
It was a character who's catchphrase was:

"I've been thinking"
AN
Andrew Founding member
That gag about a 15 year old girl featuring later being one for the blokes is very off colour, even back in the 90s

Newer posts