TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
They should have shown the masters I don’t understand why they showed the gplus version.

Probably already to hand as its quicker (and presumably cheaper) than going off digitizing new copies just to restore the odd edit here and there. Once you get past the point Plus had got up to for their transmissions editing wise they'll have to start digging new copies out anyway so the edit issue will probably solve itself, unless of course Plus had prepped everything up to the end of 1994 for all we know.
SP
Spencer
I always thought Plus fell off air mid morning in the middle of a programme?

Not mid-morning, it was mid-afternoon. But it was half way though an episode of Pie In The Sky, it went to an advert break and never came back, just cut to a GSB logo with the Sky breakdown music loop of the time.

Would that be the same music that reappeared recently during the Sky News Brexit-Free downtime?
GE
thegeek Founding member
I always thought Plus fell off air mid morning in the middle of a programme?

Not mid-morning, it was mid-afternoon. But it was half way though an episode of Pie In The Sky, it went to an advert break and never came back, just cut to a GSB logo with the Sky breakdown music loop of the time.

Would that be the same music that reappeared recently during the Sky News Brexit-Free downtime?

I assume you're talking about this track:
james-2001 and Spencer gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450
There was never any recorded footage of the Plus closure, was there?
JA
JAS84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP2ttNuTsDo
I recognise that! I think that was also used when channels permanently closed down on analogue (which was a couple of years earlier).
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
There was never any recorded footage of the Plus closure, was there?

Think it happened so quickly it caught everybody off guard.
However the "ceased broadcasting" slide on analogue cable remained "on air" until spring 2011, six and a half years later after the channel it referenced ceased to exist:
Anglialad and BillyH gave kudos
JA
JAS84
Weird. Were NTL's channel numbers never rearranged in that time? I'd expect a reshuffle to remove slides related to closed down channels.
SP
Spencer

Yep, that’s the one.

JAS84 posted:
I recognise that! I think that was also used when channels permanently closed down on analogue (which was a couple of years earlier).

Didn’t they also use it as the EPG background music in the early days of Sky Digital?
JE
Jez Founding member
When Granada Plus started Corrie was shown 4 times a day - early morning, lunchtime, early evening and 9pm. The 9pm episode disappeared soon after and it was left with 3 screenings a day for a while, at some point the morning episode moved from around 730am to 9am. Then they got rid of the early evening screening and we were left with 9am and 12noon for a long period of time. I think by the end it was just 9am. We also had an omnibus at the weekends, Sundays for a long while before being moved to a Saturday morning. Im unsure if the omnibus survived until the end. of Granada Plus. Its a shame it took ITV3 almost 13 years after the closure of Granada Plus to include Classic Coronation Street in its schedule and its taken almost exactly 15 years for ITV3 to pick up the episodes where Granada Plus left off. This will be the first time that these episodes have been screened since they first aired.

1994-1997 was a big period of change. As well as Anne Kirkbride having a 6 month break due to ill health Jill Summers had a year off due to illness, she last appeared at the end of 1993 (shown this week on ITV3) and isn't seen again until Christmas Day 1994. We also have Ivy leaving for good in 1994, a big loss to Corrie IMO, Lynne Perrie was brilliant. And then later in 1995-1997 we see the loss of Bet, Mavis, Derek and a few others so I think that is why I see 1997 onwards as modern Corrie.

I hope the extra Thursday episode of modern Corrie is just making up for the episodes we lost for football a few weeks back. I think it worked during Sinead's final episodes (excellent well written and acted week of Corrie!) but id hate to see 7 episodes every week even though im enjoying modern Corrie at the moment in the main. Less is more. Even 6 episodes a week is way too much.
JA
james-2001
As people had pointed out, Granada Plus was "crime plus" for most of the day by the time it closed, it probably would have morphed into a crime channel if they'd stayed on air much longer.
ST
Stuart

That wasn't just the breakdown music, it was used on the Sky analogue platform whenever you went into the EPG, which was essentially a broadcast channel. With the advent of Sky HD, the EPG data was stored on the box, sans music.
TM
tmf9
Sky's analogue service didn't have an EPG, but the track was one of many used as EPG background music on the digital service, pre-HD.

Newer posts