TV Home Forum

Taskmaster move to Channel 4 confirmed

6 series deal from late 2020. (November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jonwo posted:
Jon posted:
True but they've also similarly been a victim with the likes of Black Mirror. Better to be stealing shows than having them stolen.

True - though I struggled less with them upping it to 10 episodes a series than when it was 8. They have arguably used up most of the big names they could too, though it's great having a format which mixed comedy veterans with newbies. I just hope they stick to primarily people from the world of comedy rather than opening it up to general celebrities.

Wasn’t it the case Channel 4 didn’t want to make anymore Black Mirror?

Charlie Brooker explained in an interview why they left Channel 4 for Netflix:
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2018-10-25/black-mirror-charlie-brooker-channel-4-move-netflix/

Sounds like a mix of money and creative control.

Channel 4 have a habit of doing this, looking after a show when it's new then quickly losing interest. Russell T Davies famously vowed never to work for them again after spending a year developing a Queer As Folk spin off and The Second Coming for them before a change of personnel meant they were rejected.
JO
Jonwo
They never seem to complete a run of 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown in the Friday night slot before it's bumped for the return of Gogglebox, which I think this year had 2 x 12 part regular series and a 6 part celeb run.

Gogglebox is 15 episodes per series, it's on way too much although it's still rates so Channel 4 won't be cutting back anytime soon.

Jonwo posted:
Jon posted:
Wasn’t it the case Channel 4 didn’t want to make anymore Black Mirror?

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2018-10-25/black-mirror-charlie-brooker-channel-4-move-netflix/

Channel 4 have a habit of doing this, looking after a show when it's new then quickly losing interest. Russell T Davies famously vowed never to work for them again after spending a year developing a Queer As Folk spin off and The Second Coming for them before a change of personnel meant they were rejected.

RTD has clearly forgiven Channel 4 as wrote Cucumber for them and he's got another drama Boys coming next years
IS
Inspector Sands
Whilst it continues to be a good production with great tasks I personally don’t have the urge to watch the series as it airs compared to previous series. I think it has been the overkill of too many series in such a short time period.

That was the fear when the 3 series were commissioned but actually the opposite has happened and the last three series have been some of the best. I'm not sure whether it's the combination of those taking part, or the quantity of episodes/series giving them extra momentum, but it has reeally worked.
IS
Inspector Sands
They have arguably used up most of the big names they could too, though it's great having a format which mixed comedy veterans with newbies. I just hope they stick to primarily people from the world of comedy rather than opening it up to general celebrities.

Nonsense, there are plenty of people left in the comedy world who they could get to take part, and plenty of new talent coming up. There's a big well of comedians from previous generations to dip into too

Remember though that it is used very much as a showcase for Avalon talent, as well as Alex Horne and Greg Davies every series has had at least 2 or 3 Avalon clients, particularly the newer talent: David Baddiel, Rose Matefeo and Ed Gamble in the case of this current series. They won't run out

List of all their clients here: http://avalonuk.com/all-clients/
Ash101 and Blake Connolly gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
TCOTV posted:

Kinda gutted for Dave/UKTV because by supporting taskmaster it’s supported them and help commission original content. It’s one thing stealing from the top dog but to steal from the under dog doesn’t seem right to me. Guess that’s show business.

Yep and it's what the BBC have been doing for decades just without the money aspect - trying and growing shows on BBC2 and then being poached by 1!

Dave have been using it to promote their commitment to original programming, I imagine those promos will end soon

I hope that the past series will stay on UKTV in some form, I would have thought that they'd rather show them if they can than pull them out of spite. Having the new series on Channel 4 should push its new found fanbase to Dave for the back catalogue
BR
Brekkie
Given this news odd just ahead of the finale for UKTV to purchase a post-RWC Final slot solely to advertise Taskmaster with an ad clearly designed to go out pre-series.
AN
Anthony_1984
TCOTV posted:

Kinda gutted for Dave/UKTV because by supporting taskmaster it’s supported them and help commission original content. It’s one thing stealing from the top dog but to steal from the under dog doesn’t seem right to me. Guess that’s show business.

Yep and it's what the BBC have been doing for decades just without the money aspect - trying and growing shows on BBC2 and then being poached by 1!

And of course UKTV is wholly owned by the BBC, oddly enough.
JC
JCB
TCOTV posted:

Rolling Eyes BBC1 taking a show from BBC 2 is not the same as Channel 4 taking a show from Dave.
NG
noggin Founding member
TCOTV posted:

And of course UKTV is wholly owned by the BBC, oddly enough.

Yes - though via it's production and sales arm, BBC Studios. (BBC Studios is also a rival for Avalon as a production company)
JA
JAS84
Jonwo posted:
Jonwo posted:

RTD has clearly forgiven Channel 4 as wrote Cucumber for them and he's got another drama Boys coming next years

Possibly because that rejection worked out for the best in the end. Second Coming ended up on ITV, and then the BBC hired both Davies and Second Coming's lead actor Christopher Eccleston for Doctor Who.
GB
Gary Baldy
They never seem to complete a run of 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown in the Friday night slot before it's bumped for the return of Gogglebox, which I think this year had 2 x 12 part regular series and a 6 part celeb run.

I remember a couple of years ago (2017) scheduling was all over the place. It started off in the usual Friday 9pm slot, then it was randomly on two Mondays in a row at 10pm, then Thursdays at 9pm, then Thursdays at 10pm, then Fridays at 9pm, then Fridays at 10pm, before going back to its usual slot of Friday at 9pm. All within the space of 2017 alone.
IS
Inspector Sands
JCB posted:

Rolling Eyes BBC1 taking a show from BBC 2 is not the same as Channel 4 taking a show from Dave.

It kind of is, just not with the financial aspect and with less rivalry.

BBC2, and to a lesser extent 3 and 4, provide the risk and try new programmes and formats and then BBC1 poaches them when it's successful. It's still a bit of a kick in the teeth for the channel that took the risk

Newer posts