TV Home Forum

Taskmaster move to Channel 4 confirmed

6 series deal from late 2020. (November 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
In a move which is a bit more logical than taking Bake Off a couple of years ago after nine series on Dave Taskmaster is moving to Channel 4 from next year.

It's a great series and has done really well for Dave so it'll be interesting to see if it's audience grows.

https://tbivision.com/2019/11/01/exclusive-avalon-pulls-taskmaster-from-uktv-as-channel-4-circles/
Last edited by Brekkie on 22 November 2019 12:14pm - 2 times in total
JO
Jonwo
It's a shame but clearly Avalon wanted more money and/or exposure for the programme. I'm sure it'll do well on Channel 4 but makes them seem more of the channel that takes existing hits than originates them.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Born Risky...
FA
fanoftv
Whilst it continues to be a good production with great tasks I personally don’t have the urge to watch the series as it airs compared to previous series. I think it has been the overkill of too many series in such a short time period.
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:
It's a shame but clearly Avalon wanted more money and/or exposure for the programme. I'm sure it'll do well on Channel 4 but makes them seem more of the channel that takes existing hits than originates them.

True but they've also similarly been a victim with the likes of Black Mirror. Better to be stealing shows than having them stolen.

Whilst it continues to be a good production with great tasks I personally don’t have the urge to watch the series as it airs compared to previous series. I think it has been the overkill of too many series in such a short time period.

I struggled less with them upping it to 10 episodes a series than when it was increased from 5 to 8. They have arguably used up most of the big names they could too, though it's great having a format which mixed comedy veterans with newbies. I just hope they stick to primarily people from the world of comedy rather than opening it up to general celebrities.

This report seems to suggest next weeks final will be the last on Dave so I guess the Stool Pigeon report of the logical second Champions of Champions this Christmas wasn't true. Unlikely I'd have thought C4 would start with that, though I guess they might do an All Stars series to reuse some of the people they'd likely choose if they hadn't already done it.
JO
Jon
Jonwo posted:

True but they've also similarly been a victim with the likes of Black Mirror. Better to be stealing shows than having them stolen.

True - though I struggled less with them upping it to 10 episodes a series than when it was 8. They have arguably used up most of the big names they could too, though it's great having a format which mixed comedy veterans with newbies. I just hope they stick to primarily people from the world of comedy rather than opening it up to general celebrities.

Wasn’t it the case Channel 4 didn’t want to make anymore Black Mirror?
JO
Jonwo
Jon posted:
Jonwo posted:

True - though I struggled less with them upping it to 10 episodes a series than when it was 8. They have arguably used up most of the big names they could too, though it's great having a format which mixed comedy veterans with newbies. I just hope they stick to primarily people from the world of comedy rather than opening it up to general celebrities.

Charlie Brooker explained in an interview why they left Channel 4 for Netflix:
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2018-10-25/black-mirror-charlie-brooker-channel-4-move-netflix/

Sounds like a mix of money and creative control.
BR
Brekkie
Jon posted:

Think they lost it more by poor management and they did try and argue they had still had UK rights when the deal with Netflix first became apparent, but clearly they didn't. It probably has caused them to tighten up subsequent contracts - and they're being much more protective of End of the F***ing World for it's second series than the first, giving it a full TV airing and having a longer period of exclusivity in the UK before it is perceived to be a Netflix show.

Anyway, back to Taskmaster and wonder what will happen with the first nine series. I think so far they've only been available on UKTV Play as far as I know, alongside repeats on Dave. I suspect they might end up with a third party like Netflix rather than All4. If they remain with Dave wouldn't be too surprised if they did what we've seen before a few time and target a new series with repeats of a noteable previous series.
Last edited by Brekkie on 1 November 2019 8:30pm
GB
Gary Baldy
Will any of the previous series stay on UKTV Play?
TC
TCOTV
It is believed that Channel 4 is close to securing the hit format from the producers, whose five-year licence for the show with UKTV concludes at the end of this year.”

Nothing official but is likely. Unless UKTV offer more.

Kinda gutted for Dave/UKTV because by supporting taskmaster it’s supported them and help commission original content. It’s one thing stealing from the top dog but to steal from the under dog doesn’t seem right to me. Guess that’s show business.
AS
Ash101
Channel 4 does seem like the natural home for this show (if it has to be away from Dave).

Will be interesting to see where they’d schedule it, I’d guess at the Friday 9pm slot - giving more of a rotation between series of Gogglebox & Cats Countdown.

But like others have said, any ‘decent’ comedians have already been used. Even if this was billed as a reboot, you can’t have all the same celebs because part of Taskmasters charm is them having not done anything like it before.

On a similar note, I wonder when S2 of BBC One’s The Button will air? (Similar tasks format, but with families. Pretty sure I remember seeing S2 had been commissioned?)
BR
Brekkie
They never seem to complete a run of 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown in the Friday night slot before it's bumped for the return of Gogglebox, which I think this year had 2 x 12 part regular series and a 6 part celeb run.

Newer posts