The Newsroom

North American Affilliates/Network Set Design

American,Canadian Network & Affilate Set Designs (February 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CI
cityprod
That is a good set. Surprised Nexstar had the budget for a third camera and robotics. A lot of there studios (particularly the Daleks which is what they’re called over at TVNewsTalk) just have two studios and a cheap pedestal.

Kinda interesting that that term has made it over the pond. In 1993, when BBC News went virtual and used automated cameras on pedestals, if my memory serves, the cameras were also referred to as Daleks.
NG
noggin Founding member
That is a good set. Surprised Nexstar had the budget for a third camera and robotics. A lot of there studios (particularly the Daleks which is what they’re called over at TVNewsTalk) just have two studios and a cheap pedestal.

Kinda interesting that that term has made it over the pond. In 1993, when BBC News went virtual and used automated cameras on pedestals, if my memory serves, the cameras were also referred to as Daleks.

Yes - the newsroom cameras that were installed for BBC News 24 in each regional centre were also known as Daleks.
RK
Rkolsen
I have no idea why but people at TVNT called these news desks in the corner Daleks...

For a while that’s the design stations got and the network logo goes in the giant white spot - perfect for ABC and CBS but awkward for NBC’s peacock and the Fox logotype.

Well Dr. Who is a big show for years it was in reruns on PBS and new episodes on BBC America - oftentimes premiering the same time they air on BBC One.
MO
Mouseboy33
The pic above were certainly among the worse sets Nexstar implemented. They have not been known for doing beautiful sets. From the Delek desks to the disjointed panels in the background. Things changed when they mandated the WISH-TV Indianapolis set which turned out to be their latest style.
MO
Mouseboy33
WJW Fox 8 Cleveland - Speaking of Tribune stations. Just before the buyout by Nexstar went thru WJW was probably the last station to get Tribune group graphics and also a set that is similar in style to the former Tribune flagship station in Chicago the legacy station WGN. Which has carried the Chicago's Very Own moniker for decades. Before the group was bought they start rolling out the ".....Very Own" tagline to its stations across its bigger markets. This is a set is actually a better interpretation of the WGN set.

Here is a cheesy set tour.
MO
Mouseboy33
CBSN - BOSTON - Well according the newscaststudio CBSN Boston was able to a get a purpose built set. This marks the second purpose built set for the string of newly launched local news channels from CBS affiliates

The set is small and serves the rolling news purppose in which it was designed for. Currently when sports are done they utilize the smaller screen to the right. This also used to present other stories so it breaks up the format for the viewer. Interviews were done from the regular set sofa area.
I wonder if this is the set the other channels will get when they launch, but then again CBSN Locals are run cost-effectively so its probably not likely. Newscast studio also mentions that the WBZ the Boston CBS affiliate will be relocating to new building nearby..

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/09/25/cbsn-boston/
LH
lhx1985
That newsdesk is structurally quite similar to the ITN News Channel's desk from the early 2000s.
The smallish round glass top on a cantilever construction. Minus the fake pillar in this implementation.

36 days later

MO
Mouseboy33
WSMV 4 NBC - Nashville.
MO
Mouseboy33
KTHV - 11 CBS Little Rock Arkansas - Ugh stop with the "local touches" of the brick. Geez.
RK
Rkolsen
KTHV - 11 CBS Little Rock Arkansas - Ugh stop with the "local touches" of the brick. Geez.
]

Like how they kept the This is Home tag. I think it was largely abandoned when the new graphics launched.
MO
Mouseboy33
The THV set doesnt look horrible except for the brick. If it was white washed like that presentation area it would be ok.. I actually dont even dislike the grey wood touches. it kinda feels modern. I kinda like that anchor desk. But that that red brick is far too dark and makes it look like a basement or factory and it pushed that whole set into another column for me. Nope sorry.
MO
Mouseboy33
WRAL 5 Raleigh North Carolina. Innovative station station WRAL premiered their new set last night. Moving out of their long-time newsroom set. The new set features white and grays and a blue floor and other accents with reportedly the largest screen on local tv in the US, also keeping with their innovative streaks they are the first station to shoot news in 4K. The set looks great. The big problem is the horrific lighting design. The set and lighting design were both done by FX Design. The lighting is absolutely awful. One of the worst Ive seen. Especially at such an innovative station. The set is blasted in glaring white light. This makes that expensive video wall look washed out. And the talent looks like corpses. Horrible. If its not geoblocked your can see it. https://www.wral.com/latest-wral-newscast/1082826/
From Newscastudio

See a sneak preview
https://www.wral.com/brian-shrader-provides-sneak-peek-of-new-wral-news-set/18733876/

Newer posts