Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I never considered that music to be particular cheerful to be fair.
JA
james-2001
I think it was quite common for BBC1 to start up with no Ceefax at that point in time, though I think mostly at weekends.

I've driven past where that accident happened so many times as well, always passes my mind when I do.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Can't help but feel it was a little inappropriate to have a montage of images from the crash backed by the usual cheery Breakfast Time theme music.

That particular music was one of two sombre versions used on special occasions and in fact it was the more understated of the two. It was also used during the Gulf War in 1991. The other sombre version was a bit more dramatic and tended to be used the morning after elections etc.
VM
VMPhil
Can't help but feel it was a little inappropriate to have a montage of images from the crash backed by the usual cheery Breakfast Time theme music.

That particular music was one of two sombre versions used on special occasions and in fact it was the more understated of the two. It was also used during the Gulf War in 1991. The other sombre version was a bit more dramatic and tended to be used the morning after elections etc.

It doesn't sound very sombre! I think it's the flute flourishes (apologies if this is completely the wrong musical phrase)
UK
UKnews
There's a very good 30 For 30 documentary about that, one of the things it mentions that I didn't know before is that those famous shots of the damage to the Bay Bridge came from the Goodyear blimp which was already up for the World Series.

Was going to mention that, it’s a great watch, one of the best in the series.
EL
elmarko
Full agreement, I love it and plenty of behind the scenes stuff.
BE
benriggers
The earliest surviving colour episode of Play School.

CA
Capybara
An explanation of Ghostwatch, one of the most controversial BBC programmes of all time because of it 'causing' (which has been disputed) the suicide of a teenager:
JA
james-2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2S83txOp24

I wonder if they kept it after putting so much effort producing the whole thing on location. Interesting to see it's all on location and on video way back in 1968 as well and almost looks as it if was filmed yesterday, when we were still getting scratchy & grainy film inserts on shows made over 20 years later.
Last edited by james-2001 on 30 October 2019 7:15pm
VM
VMPhil

Whilst this is undoubtedly amazing it also makes me sad that you can't watch other TV from this era in the same quality.
JA
james-2001

Whilst this is undoubtedly amazing it also makes me sad that you can't watch other TV from this era in the same quality.

Yes, so little surviving on VT sadly, most of what does survive from this time is often not very good quality at all telerecordings.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Is it definitely VT? Being recorded on film might explain how it survived and would likely have been much cheaper to do it PSC and edit than to use a scanner and either mobile VT van (if they existed so early) or links back to TV Centre.

Newer posts