TV Home Forum

X Factor

Breaking: Series 16 scrapped (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cando
Cando posted:

500k an hour was not huge even by 2012 especially for a massive shiny floor show. Around what The Apprentice cost back then and less than what Strictly did as the show was mainly pre recorded in chunks.

At the time the format purchase costs got a significant amount of negative press, and it became clear that the BBC wouldn't be in the market for another big-ticket format rights purchase any time soon, and instead would be more likely to develop or commission new formats.

Yes like those definitely not bought in formats The Wall and Drag Race...
The BBC is going to get negative headlines whatever happens. It goes with the territory. But the Voice was not as expensive as existing big ticket shows. Just the usual BBC bashing of the time.
CA
Cando
The Masked Singer was the subject of a big bidding war between C4 and ITV. Shockingly the PSB C4 got no press attention nor should it. BBC bashing is part of the territory, you just have to suck it up in return for 3.5bn in licence fees
JO
Jonwo
ITV buying Talpa was also a major factor in The Voice moving to ITV.

Cando posted:
Cando posted:

500k an hour was not huge even by 2012 especially for a massive shiny floor show. Around what The Apprentice cost back then and less than what Strictly did as the show was mainly pre recorded in chunks.

At the time the format purchase costs got a significant amount of negative press, and it became clear that the BBC wouldn't be in the market for another big-ticket format rights purchase any time soon, and instead would be more likely to develop or commission new formats.

The BBC is going to get negative headlines whatever happens. It goes with the territory. But the Voice was not as expensive as existing big ticket shows. Just the usual BBC bashing of the time.

Didn’t The BBC offer less money but a longer commitment in order to get the show
CA
Cando
Jonwo posted:
ITV buying Talpa was also a major factor in The Voice moving to ITV.

Cando posted:

Didn’t The BBC offer less money but a longer commitment in order to get the show

How many times has ITV moved a hit show they own from another channel? If the BBC had coughed up for the Kids version it would still be there. 20m from the BBC year would just as profitable to them. Especially as the kids version doesn't do much.
JO
Jonwo
Cando posted:
The Masked Singer was the subject of a big bidding war between C4 and ITV. Shockingly the PSB C4 got no press attention nor should it. BBC bashing is part of the territory, you just have to suck it up in return for 3.5bn in licence fees

I’m surprised Channel 4 wanted it, it’s not really their sort of format they go for
CU
Cusack
Jonwo posted:
Cando posted:

I’m surprised Channel 4 wanted it, it’s not really their sort of format they go for

You could say the same about The Great British Bake Off.
:-(
A former member
Jonwo posted:
Cando posted:

You could say the same about The Great British Bake Off.

I think if they’d just plonked the BBC show onto Channel 4 untouched, I’d have agreed, but I think it feels very much more Channel 4 now. I know it looks the same but the change of hosts and, I’d argue, the much more diverse range of bakers make it feel very different.
TG
TellyGB
It’s such a shame the way the show has ended up.

I found this on YouTube - https://youtu.be/LkEbwCUAGJc - it’s such a nice, warm moment in the show. It also has a sense of importance about the winner, unlike recent years.

Such a shame the show has ended up in its current state.
KE
kernow
The X Factor should have either ended on a high a few years ago, or been given a break for a few years.

Instead, it's being allowed to limp on with plummeting viewing figures.
TG
TellyGB
The X Factor should have either ended on a high a few years ago, or been given a break for a few years.

I think 2012 was a turning point with the obvious bullying and disgusting treatment of Christopher Maloney. That’s when the show felt nasty and just sour and awkward.

I think even the show realised that, as 2013 was a lot more upbeat and positive series.
DM
DeMarkay

I think 2012 was a turning point with the obvious bullying and disgusting treatment of Christopher Maloney. That’s when the show felt nasty and just sour and awkward.

I think even the show realised that, as 2013 was a lot more upbeat and positive series.

2009 was the start of the downfall. The arena auditions messed up everything.
TG
TellyGB

2009 was the start of the downfall. The arena auditions messed up everything.

Not sure ... for me the arena auditions did breathe some new life into the show. The rooms were starting to look a bit dated.

https://youtu.be/-eDWdQc8i6M

The first episode of the 2009 series feels EPIC.

Newer posts