TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ET
ethanh05
Si-Co posted:
I remember when Christmas presentation was used only from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day (or any “in lieu” bank holidays that followed). A few days maximum. I don’t think the BBC even used any special pres at New Year. Even the ITV regions rarely used any Christmas-themed IVC or presentation until a few days before Christmas, though they did tend to use it until after New Year.

My point is that when Christmas idents are launched at the start of December, by Christmas itself they already look familiar and nothing feels special about Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day pres. If they must start using Christmas-themed idents in early December, set the theme - tease us a bit with the idents but don’t show them all on the first night - keep the best ones back to be showcased on 24th/25th/26th December.

For example - and it’s just an example to demonstrate what I mean - they could have idents featuring different “characters” or objects/props (someone wrapping a present, someone buying a tree - Christmassy enough in themselves) but the final idents show how all these characters/objects come together to form a story you see played out in the Christmas Eve/Christmas Day idents.

You can make a point that it builds up anticipation, but I'm unexpectedly on the side of airing them early.

You get to feel more festive earlier, meaning you technically have a higher level of anticipation than you did under the old system. More pressingly, the BBC pump effort into these - why would they want to throw them away to show for three days only when you can show them for longer and justify the effort more? Sure, they can make a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day ident like they did a few years ago (last year before Oneness, I recall) but show the others throughout the month.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
I would go for launching Christmas idents around the 20th/21st December. Having them for just three days always seemed a bit mean, but having them the the entire month of December is going to the other extreme, and as has been said, stops them from feeling 'special' when Christmas actually does arrive.

Part of the fun in the old days was guessing what the idents would be like from the promotions running in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Though what doesn't help is that BBC1's Christmas idents over the past three or four years have been very uninteresting anyway - I haven't even recorded any since 2014.
AR
Argybargy
Sorry to change the subject all of a sudden, but looking back over threads, I seem to get the impression that the 'Neon' ident was used to introduce every episode of Doctor Who Series Four (2008). I just wanted to know whether this was correct.

I think you are correct. When Neon was originally launched (2007, wasn't it?), it was only used for BBC One's Saturday evening junctions. As time went on, it started to appear at other times in the week.
chris, natwel27 and Custard56 gave kudos
CU
Custard56
I miss Circles.
chris, Charlesy and fanoftv gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Am I right in thinking that the Oneness tag only appears on the idents? It's not tied into any wider campaign or anything?
AR
Argybargy
Am I right in thinking that the Oneness tag only appears on the idents? It's not tied into any wider campaign or anything?

It's on the stings but not on the trails.
DV
DVB Cornwall
In case you've missed it. A brief note to say that on supported devices, Seven Worlds, One Planet is available on BBC iPlayer in 4K UHD.
MA
Markymark
In case you've missed it. A brief note to say that on supported devices, Seven Worlds, One Planet is available on BBC iPlayer in 4K UHD.

Yes. I was invited to view it in UHD when the live broadcast started by pressing Red, which dumped my telly into some iplayer dead end. Anyway worked fine going in via the telly's iplayer ap

Point of order UHD and 4K are not exactly the same thing. Just saying

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/174221-no-tv-makers-4k-and-uhd-are-not-the-same-thing
DA
davidhorman

Speaking of which, Sir David himself did the Continuity Announcement leading into the first episode, over Birdwatchers.
TI
TIGHazard

Wonder if His Dark Materials will be. Rumour is episodes available on Amazon to purchase after HBO's airing will be.
DV
DVB Cornwall
In case you've missed it. A brief note to say that on supported devices, Seven Worlds, One Planet is available on BBC iPlayer in UHD.

Incidentally it seems that this is fully integrated into the player now, previously UHD series content was fed independently by a bridge out to a limited feature player. SW,OP now is operationally the same as all other content and has previews and auto play is enabled for subsequent programmes too.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Si-Co posted:
I remember when Christmas presentation was used only from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day (or any “in lieu” bank holidays that followed). A few days maximum. I don’t think the BBC even used any special pres at New Year.
I'm surprised that barcode hasn't been along yet to point out that Scotland produced Hogmanay idents in the 90s/00s.

Newer posts