The Newsroom

LBC News Discussion

Global launches 24hr rolling news station (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
dvboy posted:
John Kettley is a weatherman.

LO
Londoner
The 7pm-10pm sequence with Josh Coupe was live.

At 10pm it looks like the service becomes semi-automated, with headlines from David Domb then the main news sequence presented by Philip Chryssikos with no timechecks and who is carefully avoiding referring to 'today' or 'tomorrow'.

Still a vast step up from the previous 7am-7pm London News service
LL
Good to see that it's at least fully live until 10pm on weeknights. It was needed tonight with the GE vote ending just after 7pm, if it had happened last week, LBC London News would have crashed into LBC coverage at 7pm, followed by opinionated analysis from Iain Dale and guests.
LO
Londoner

Former LBC managing director David Lloyd gives his verdict:
https://www.davidlloydradio.com/post/where-the-news-never-stops
LL
Just listened to the 10.40 'live' segment and no mention was made of Margaret Hodge being reselected.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
TCOTV posted:
I don’t normally like a lot of what global do but LBC News is sounding good.

The global’s newsroom website now redirects to LBC News. I guess it was used as a test or they changed their minds and changed the name quickly before launch.

Wonder if we could hear other Global brands having their news bulletins "powered by LBC News" like Talk Radio sports bulletins by Talk Sport?
LL
TCOTV posted:

The global’s newsroom website now redirects to LBC News. I guess it was used as a test or they changed their minds and changed the name quickly before launch.

Wonder if we could hear other Global brands having their news bulletins "powered by LBC News" like Talk Radio sports bulletins by Talk Sport?

TCOTV posted:

Global's Newsroom is the brand they're marketing for news content across their brands, including LBC News. They're also used on Communicorp owned stations in the UK in addition. They'll also be used on stations owned by Quidem in the Midlands (they're mostly called Touch FM currently) once they take a Global brand franchise.

From a branding POV, using LBC News as a brand is easier to remember and string off the tongue in the same way 1010 WINS is.
MO
Mouseboy33
Well I have to say I really like the audio imaging and the station format. Its quick and fast paced. But heres the thing.....
DO NOT START CHANGING STUFF!!!!
The magic of 1010 WINS/WBBM780/KNX is they dont fool around with the format or audio imaging very much. Every hour on the hour for years. It stays the same. It doesnt slow down, it doesnt change. It just keeps going non-stop. "The Newswatch never stops". LBCNews hopefully will learn that lesson. Let it settle in, build your audience. The anchors/presenters are brilliant. They really make the station. The fast quick bubbly style without sounding nice BBC Newsreaders from a bygone era. I will say they need to work on Weather and Traffic. Its London-centric. If its meant to be a national station, they need to come up with a better strategy. Weather could concentrate on the major cities. Just a few niggles for over all. Im liking what Im hearing.
IS
Inspector Sands
I will say they need to work on Weather and Traffic. Its London-centric. If its meant to be a national station, they need to come up with a better strategy. Weather could concentrate on the major cities.

There are two versions of the station, one for national DAB and the other for London (on 1152MW and presumably the existing local DAB slot). The weather, travel and ads are split so that London gets their own.

Sounds like you're listening to the London version, which is understandable as both are online and the old London News stream carries the London version and it looks like the national one is a new stream. Their web player took a while to update on Monday morning, I don't know if their app needs an update to add the new service.
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 29 October 2019 7:48am
London Lite and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
GE
thegeek Founding member
I feel a bit like the TOTH voiceover ought to be "FACT × IMPORTANCE = NEWS". It's quite bombastic, but that's not to say I don't like it.
DV
dvboy
I will say they need to work on Weather and Traffic. Its London-centric. If its meant to be a national station, they need to come up with a better strategy. Weather could concentrate on the major cities.

There are two versions of the station, one for national DAB and the other for London (on 1152MW and presumably the existing local DAB slot). The weather, travel and ads are split so that London gets their own.

Sounds like you're listening to the London version, which is understandable as both are online and the old London News stream carries the London version and it looks like the national one is a new stream. Their web player took a while to update on Monday morning, I don't know if their app needs an update to add the new service.

Are there different presenters doing the weather and travel on the London version?
LO
Londoner
The weather is certainly the same person on both feeds. The daytime weather person reads the script v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y to meet the allocated time. It sounds very jarring.

Newer posts