TV Home Forum

X Factor

Breaking: Series 16 scrapped (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gottago
For some 16-34 ratings context this week's X Factor managed an average of 0.69m compared to 0.83m for Strictly and won its slot amongst that group so it's not all bad I guess.

Here's a Daily Mail article from the weekend about the new head of entertainment and her supposed thoughts on the show:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7617361/ITVs-new-head-entertainment-ready-pull-plug-X-Factor.html
AN
Andrew Founding member
So they've kept the old theme from 2004 as the bed for the results? Surely David Lowe could've created a new version?

That surely is the last remaining part of the original theme tune bed from 2004. It is good that this still remains. The other remaining part from 2004 was the theme played after Dermot had announced who was going home which had survived the past few jazzed up incarnations. But it looks like this part has now gone.

Do different than BGT, which scrapped the main opening titles for that epic gold intro, but then still had the end of part stings based on the previous titles.
BR
Brekkie
It is all about perception and looking at the overnight ratings, it is a PR disaster for ITV who want to consider X Factor still as a big brand name for their channel.

When you have Strictly Come Dancing achieving 9 million viewers in the overnight ratings, and gaining more with consolidated figures and then X Factor struggles to pull in 3.5 million overnight - even with consolidated figures helping X Factor, the 9 million Vs 3.5 million is the figures which gets the headlines, and the consolidated figures are forgotten.

ITV need X Factor to do a bit more decent overnights, for PR reasons, commercially they are doing just fine at the moment.

A side note to this ... I wonder if Cowell regrets launching the show in the US? I can’t help but feel like the show would be different (and better rated) still today if the 2010 panel had continued into 2011 ....

It would have only delayed the inevitable and Cowell probably made more in his first year of the US version than he has from the UK version in the last decade.
JK
JKDerry
Let us see how the X Factor All Stars version does when the celebrity one ends. The All Stars version must start straight after the celebrity one concludes in the middle of November?

What really annoys me is it feels like Simon has a problem of letting go - he is so desperate to keep X Factor on air, he will try anything. This coming from a man who has dumped hundreds of performers he launched/found over the last two decades whenever he felt they were not financially viable - maybe ITV need to give Simon a taste of his own medicine.
KE
kernow
What really annoys me is it feels like Simon has a problem of letting go - he is so desperate to keep X Factor on air, he will try anything. This coming from a man who has dumped hundreds of performers he launched/found over the last two decades whenever he felt they were not financially viable - maybe ITV need to give Simon a taste of his own medicine.

ITV need to be careful though, as they don't want to lose Britain's Got Talent, which I expect Simon Cowell is well aware of and using to his advantage.

If ITV dropped the X Factor, Simon could take Britain's Got Talent to another broadcaster, which is the last thing that ITV would want, and may be keeping the X Factor on air to stop that from happening.
BR
Brekkie
It was live on the web though from the minute they moved in.
WH
Whataday Founding member

ITV need to be careful though, as they don't want to lose Britain's Got Talent, which I expect Simon Cowell is well aware of and using to his advantage.

If ITV dropped the X Factor, Simon could take Britain's Got Talent to another broadcaster, which is the last thing that ITV would want, and may be keeping the X Factor on air to stop that from happening.

I've never believed that The X Factor has been kept alive because of a fear that ITV would lose Britain's Got Talent. I mean, I've heard of vanity projects but that's just ridiculous.

Besides, if push came to shove, ITV could produce its own talent show format hosted by Ant & Dec. An Opportunity Knocks or New Faces revival perhaps? It's not all weighted towards Syco.
Brekkie and DeMarkay gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
I think ITV need to be brave and axe The X Factor so they can use some of the money elsewhere, it'll be tough to fill those hours but I think Fremantle and Syco could negotiate that they replace The X Factor with a new format rather than just have a deal for solely BGT.

I wouldn't be surprised if ITV are waiting to see how The Masked Singer does before making a decision. If that's a hit then they have a ready made replacement.
ZE
zeebre12
Jonwo posted:
I think ITV need to be brave and axe The X Factor so they can use some of the money elsewhere, it'll be tough to fill those hours but I think Fremantle and Syco could negotiate that they replace The X Factor with a new format rather than just have a deal for solely BGT.

I wouldn't be surprised if ITV are waiting to see how The Masked Singer does before making a decision. If that's a hit then they have a ready made replacement.

Did ITV not have a similar show called Guess the Star a few years ago that was hardly much of a hit?
OR
orange
Your Face Sounds Familiar was mildly related too
TG
TellyGB
Where else could BGT be broadcast? Only BBC1 surely?
BM
BM11
Where else could BGT be broadcast? Only BBC1 surely?

That's the least likely. Five or Sky much more likely.

Newer posts