The Newsroom

Reporting Scotland Refresh

OW
Owen_ploc World News
This is definitely one of the most disappointing relaunches I've ever seen. But hey, that's just me.

To be fair... it was described as a 'refresh' not a relaunch.

They could've done better anyway.
I can’t think of a good signature.
:-(
A former member
That studio has always had two desk, depending on the story and the interview taking place. At the same time its also used of other programmes in Glasgow.

Why two desks?
OW
Owen_ploc World News
OW
Owen_ploc World News
Gill Sans never dies
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Studio would look much better in blue than red.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
GE
thegeek Founding member London London

Gill Sans never dies
...but you will.

(Bit of a Scottish post-rock reference for you there)
IT
itsrobert Founding member Granada North West Today
Yet more bland music from David Lowe - it's really time the BBC went another way. As someone who was around these parts in the heyday of Lowe music - pre-2003 - it's all very disappointing these days. His original work for BBC News across all the outlets was absolutely revolutionary. Now, though, it's just bland sameness. Move on.......

Can't say I'm impressed with this relaunch/revamp/refresh/whatever. Only the BBC could "refresh" something and end up with it all being the same.

I get the impression that BBC News is now terrified of change. They seem to hide behind the excuse that the viewers "know the brand" too well. OK: I concede that after two decades, they probably do. But, do they actually like it, or is it just 20-year-old wallpaper now? I really do think it's time they hit us with a completely new concept right across the board. They did it in 1999 - it's time they did it again for the next 20 years. Surely they can't limp on like this much longer?
PE
peterrocket Founding member
I'm disappointed they ditched the familiar tune that's been in place since 1999 for something generic and bland. A nice remix could have been done - but instead it's something that you'd expect to find on some BBC News Channel strand now.
Last edited by peterrocket on 28 October 2019 8:56pm
IT
itsrobert Founding member Granada North West Today
I'm disappointed they ditched the familiar tune that's been in place since 1999 for something generic and bland. A nice remix could have been done - but instead it's something that you'd expect to find on some BBC News Channel stand now.

Absolutely - in fact, the Reporting Scotland theme was, in my opinion, one of David Lowe's better creations in 1999. It was certainly my favourite of the regions/nations themes at the time. And I quite liked the original 2008 update that was more reminiscent of 1999, before they replaced it with a slightly blander version. But this is even blander again! Practically muzak.
London Lite, Ittr and Sh1ruba gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Alas this will go nowhere near to solving the more major problems linked to this programme, a good amount of people still dislike Reporting scotland, I dare say thats why BBC keep on nicking STV people..
PE
peterrocket Founding member
I'm disappointed they ditched the familiar tune that's been in place since 1999 for something generic and bland. A nice remix could have been done - but instead it's something that you'd expect to find on some BBC News Channel stand now.

Absolutely - in fact, the Reporting Scotland theme was, in my opinion, one of David Lowe's better creations in 1999. It was certainly my favourite of the regions/nations themes at the time. And I quite liked the original 2008 update that was more reminiscent of 1999, before they replaced it with a slightly blander version. But this is even blander again! Practically muzak.

What they should do, and I'm surprised it's not been done already, is commission someone else to have a go at the music, but keeping the familiar elements such as the pips and bassline. It could breathe a whole new life into the theme.
Last edited by peterrocket on 28 October 2019 9:18pm
Sh1ruba, Ittr and itsrobert gave kudos
JK
JKDerry UTV Newsline
Does anyone know the average ratings for Reporting Scotland compared to STV's 6pm bulletin? Which programme is getting the better ratings in Scotland?

Newer posts