TV Home Forum

40th anniversary of the ITV strike

10 August – 24 October 1979 (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
On this day in 1979, ITV would return after being off air for over 75 days - once again the UK viewers would have proper daytime television instead of the constant diet of cricket, horse racing and schools programmes BBC One provided.
WA
watchingtv
Excluding the Channel Islands which are doing something to mark that this week.
JK
JKDerry
Excluding the Channel Islands which are doing something to mark that this week.

What are they doing?
:-(
A former member

MA
Markymark
On this day in 1979, ITV would return after being off air for over 75 days - once again the UK viewers would have proper daytime television instead of the constant diet of cricket, horse racing and schools programmes BBC One provided.

Yea. I'm amazed we weren't given the day off school
JK
JKDerry

Yea. I'm amazed we weren't given the day off school

Oh how droll
TI
tightrope78

I think you’re stretching it a bit. From what I remember there was no proper daytime television until 1986. You can’t say ITV offered a coherent daytime schedule in the 70s.
A former member
ITV had daytime service from Sept 1972, covering the afternoon period. All that happened in 1987 was the 3 hours from 09.25 to 12.00 were no longer used for schools. I dare say all those magazine show were not real.
Last edited by A former member on 24 October 2019 7:30pm
A former member

CO
commseng
What a great video showing bits of Channel TV there, and the memories from those involved.
I doubt the circumstances that lead to the 11 week strike elsewhere can ever be repeated now, so we can never see the same small TV company taking on a huge undertaking as it was in 1979 again.
NL
Ne1L C
Bravo.
JK
JKDerry

I think you’re stretching it a bit. From what I remember there was no proper daytime television until 1986. You can’t say ITV offered a coherent daytime schedule in the 70s.

My point is this - Take a typical Friday from 1979: What was the daytime offering from the three main channels, let us have a look and see if I can show my point:

Friday 16th November 1979

BBC One offered schools programmes from 9.05am - 12.30pm. Closed down until 12.45. Midday News at 12.45 followed by Pebble Mill at One, Camberwick Green and then more schools programmes until 3.00pm, when they closed down again until 3.55pm when children's television started.

BBC Two offered 11.00am - 11.25 Playschool, then nothing until Racing from Ascot and Tennis from 1.25pm until 5.00pm, they then closed down for 40 minutes and resumed at 5.40 with their main evening programming.

ITV offered schools programmes from 9.30am - 12.00pm, followed by a children's programme and import at 12.30. News at One, followed by local news and then from 1.30pm there was daytime shows such as Crown Court, Good Afternoon, The Sullivans and a Friday matinee movie until children's programmes started at 4.15pm.

So, in my humble opinion, ITV did offer a more codified and coherent daytime service, with no close downs, stop/starts, gaps etc. You may not liked the content, but at least they did offer a proper service from 9.30am until kids shows started at 4.15pm, unlike the two BBC channels.

That is all I was pointing out from my view point.

Newer posts