The Gallery

Sky News - Refresh Idea

Bringing Sky News more in line with its current logo (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVViewer256
Hi everyone,

I decided to design a Sky News refresh, bringing the general graphical feel to be more aligned to the logo the channel got in 2018.

For now, I only have the show titlecards/graphics on the screen, but lower thirds are coming!

Also, unfortunately I have neither the skill set or software to animate these, but they’d animate similar to on Sky Sports News.

Enjoy!

Main Logo:
The Early Rundown:
Kay Burley@Breakfast:
Sky News Today:
Ian King Live:
The Sarah-Jane Mee Show:
The Newshour with Mark Austin:
Sky News at Six:
Sky News Tonight:
Sky News at Ten:
Press Preview:

Please give me any constructive feedback you have - lower thirds coming soon!
TV
TVViewer256
Gosh - just realized the image quality isn’t too good - I’ll upload some better quality ones when I’m at my PC soon!
EY
the eye
Not bad could do with a bit more work on it.
JK
JK08
I really don't want to sound rude here, but it just seems even duller than what Sky have currently.
DW
DavidWhitfield
I think this has potential. I do think you need to do it in such a way that you can fit everyone in without reducing the size/spacing, e.g. Mark Austin's a fair bit smaller than 'today'. Keep at it though. It's simple, but it looks smart.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
These look okay, however I don't think the programme names work that well, ideally the size would be the same as the 'news'. 'The News Hour with Mark Austin' is way too long and goes out of the safe area as well.

I think the placement of the Sky News logo is rather random also, I would personally do what you have done but centre the logo, then if you like the programme names in that way... if you did think about how they could potentially animate (even if you can't do it as you've said), the Sky News could start in the centre, before the programme name pops out from the side and the whole thing becomes central.
RE
Reece24
I really like the idea of these. I like the split screen and the Sky News logo, however the programme names need work. I think it may work better if animated, with the Sky News logo appearing first, animated out and the programme name animated in? (If that makes any sense), and the split screen 50:50.
But, overall a really nice idea!
MD
mdtauk
Trying to contain the programme name in a box at the end, is impractical, and you end up with either super long logos, or text that gets resized.

Making use of the horizontal split with the "Sky" part of the logo is promising though. Following that through to other graphics could be interesting.
BR
Brekkie
Defo potential. I'd take the programme names out of the box and use the plentiful white space in the background for it again.
FG
FraserGJ
Defo potential. I'd take the programme names out of the box and use the plentiful white space in the background for it again.

Agreed - I'd put them under the 'news' half of the logo.

Either that or move the Sky News logo down a bit and put the programme name above - a little like the promo end-boards used by Sky One etc
TV
TVViewer256

Agreed - I'd put them under the 'news' half of the logo.

Either that or move the Sky News logo down a bit and put the programme name above - a little like the promo end-boards used by Sky One etc

I've tried these - they really don't look that good but thanks for the idea.

Thanks for all your comments, they've been very helpful and constructive. I'm working on a storyboard with a tweaked design to show how it'll animate.
MO
Moz
As most others, I really like the SKY|NEWS split but agree it doesn't work with the programme names - and the quite awful names Sky give the slots really doesn't help here.

Newer posts