TV Home Forum

The Steph Show

Steph leaving BBC Breakfast for Channel 4 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Steph McGovern will not be returning to BBC Breakfast. She's to present a new live show for Channel 4.

WO
Worzel
rob posted:
Steph McGovern will not be returning to BBC Breakfast. She's to present a new live show for Channel 4.

Such an original show name. That'll please some on here no end! Laughing
NE
News96
That will explain Ben Thompson's comment a few weeks ago about now doing Breakfast permanently!
CH
chris
Is this Steph leaving the BBC completely, including Watchdog? The reporting suggests just BBC Breakfast but it’s a brave move if everything.
LL
London Lite Founding member
A shame, but at least she has her own gig at a more acceptable hour where she can fit in between her parenting duties.

Also good to see a lifestyle lunchtime show back on C4.
PI
pip2
The best thing about Breakfast is to host a daily current affairs show. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50123720
PI
pip2
I hit submit before commenting. As usual, I don't know what to think.
LO
lobster
It will be a bit like when Richard and Judy did the same thing.... I give it a year....
PI
pip2
It could find an audience if it's The One Show on 4 at 8.
RD
RDJ
The title is dire. But interesting to announce a show before the studios have even been completed being built yet.

I know there’s been no decision of her future on Watchdog, but it will be a shame if she leaves that too. Though if she does go - they need a hard hitting journalist to take the helm and don’t just put Michelle Ackerley in her place as I predict they will do.
JA
JAS84
Should've included her surname in the show's name.
CU
Custard56
I don't consider Steph McGovern to be a huge loss to BBC Breakfast as its business presenter and occasional stand-in main host - it's not like Bill Turnbull leaving or a Susanna Reid-esque defection. Though it is the loss of a familiar face. The good thing is that Breakfast already has Ben Thompson in place as their other familiar business presenter.

To be honest, it's the kind of news I was expecting to hear first about Naga Munchetty, following the BBC debacle surrounding her.

Does anyone know whether this is Channel 4 venturing back into breakfast television or is it later in the morning / day?
Last edited by Custard56 on 21 October 2019 7:32pm

Newer posts