TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I guess ITV run the studio themselves then rather than Bovington Airfield. It's the sort of location producers of drama especially would like due to it's isolated location and plenty of space.

Would be an ideal location for a future Big Brother house too.
JK
JKDerry
How easy is it for audiences to get to Bovington? With Elstree Studios, Pinewood Studios and Television Centre there are decent transport links, what about Bovington?
GE
thegeek Founding member
How easy is it for audiences to get to Bovington? With Elstree Studios, Pinewood Studios and Television Centre there are decent transport links, what about Bovington?

It appears to be a bit of a faff. 30 minutes by train from Euston to Hemel then 15 minutes on a bus.
WH
Whataday Founding member
One person's bit of a faff is another person's dream commute.
MA
Markymark

Easy, near the M25 and A41, and plenty of on site free parking
DV
dvboy

If you drive.
Lou Scannon and Blake Connolly gave kudos
MA
Markymark
dvboy posted:

If you drive.

30 million people drive, so they should be able to find enough of them (especially if they bring passengers) to form an audience.
XQ
XQD
The luxury of having 300+ audience parking spaces is nothing to be shamed at! I don't think you've ever been able to park at any of the studio facilities (at least in the south). That's not to say that people don't try. At TLS, we once had a coach of pensioners trying to park in the studio access road!
TJ
TedJrr

Would be an ideal location for a future Big Brother house too.

It's already got a prison.

I'ts also got a D-VOR and just to the south a 23cm turning head.

Its under or rather at the centre of one of Heathrow's stacks. Doubt that aitrcraft noise would intrude into a building, but could be an issue with open-air production.
KE
kernow
XQD posted:
The luxury of having 300+ audience parking spaces is nothing to be shamed at! I don't think you've ever been able to park at any of the studio facilities (at least in the south). That's not to say that people don't try. At TLS, we once had a coach of pensioners trying to park in the studio access road!

You can park at the Sky Studios in Isleworth (or you could when I was last there, don't know if that's changed since then).
MA
Markymark
XQD posted:

You can park at the Sky Studios in Isleworth (or you could when I was last there, don't know if that's changed since then).

They only have a limited amount of visitor spaces, although in the evening they could free up some of the staff parking spaces perhaps. However, are there any shows there with a large studio audience?
BM
BM11
XQD posted:
ITV used the Bovingdon Airfield setup that Dancing on Ice uses for recent recording of The Masked Singer. What's this like as a production facility? I can't imagine it's very flexible. I thought it was a temporary space, just to house an ice rink.

ITV has invested a lot of money into bringing the site up to standards; there are now permanent fibre circuits and mains power, and the main studio structure is of semi-permanent design. There is also a production block comprising dressing rooms, makeup and ancillary space and a production office that are supported by ITV's in-house Workplace Services team.

They've also had a fair amount of interest since the end of the last series of Dancing on Ice. As mentioned previously, The Masked Singer has just wrapped in there (the next Series of Dancing on Ice moves back in a few weeks), and a number of Netflix and BBC dramas have used the vast studio space for drama. I believe ITV are really trying to encourage further Light Ent usage in the coming years.

How they managing to stop leaks of the Masked singer contestants considering their will be relying on social media buzz.

Newer posts