(March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
It looks rather good, IMO.

BBC News should take note for studio A.
DO
dosxuk
Looks to be a very basic virtual setup — no tracked movements in three-dimensional space. Just a basic background chroma key.

There is more than a basic chroma key going on there - as there are background reflections in the desk that match a realistic desk reflection of the background (rather than seeing more of the background cut through the desk)

Either the backings have all been designed statically but with built in desk reflections that demand precise camera framing - or there is more than just basic chroma key going on.

No reflections in that desk! Where have his legs gone?!
JA
Jamesypoo
Interesting they've gone to the effort of recreating the redundant plinth. I know it used to have a smaller version of the main desk on it - but was it ever used for anything?
CH
Charles
Interesting they've gone to the effort of recreating the redundant plinth. I know it used to have a smaller version of the main desk on it - but was it ever used for anything?

It was originally used for Counting the Cost. The desk was skewed at an angle with white lighting. I thought it looked really nice.

I remember an insider posting on here (or perhaps it was on another site) years ago that they originally planned to also use that desk for Inside Story with it spun all the way around for a newsroom backdrop. I don't think they ever did, and they actually used a very convincing key for the newsroom/control room backdrop in the first few years of the show.

There also was a presentation area in the mezzanine. It was used briefly for headlines early on, as well as Sportsworld, which was eventually canceled after a few years.

JU
Justin
New panel show from AJ's DC studios, "The Bottom Line" hosted by Steve Clemons.

Interesting graphics being used for names. None of the normal lower-thirds feature at all other than the bug and ticker.
EY
the eye
Never got to see that old second desk used. Looks awesome lit up white and blueish.
JW
JamesWorldNews
New panel show from AJ's DC studios, "The Bottom Line" hosted by Steve Clemons.

Interesting graphics being used for names. None of the normal lower-thirds feature at all other than the bug and ticker.

That’s a nice desk and backdrop. Doha could do worse than to replicate that.
NG
noggin Founding member

There is more than a basic chroma key going on there - as there are background reflections in the desk that match a realistic desk reflection of the background (rather than seeing more of the background cut through the desk)

Either the backings have all been designed statically but with built in desk reflections that demand precise camera framing - or there is more than just basic chroma key going on.

No reflections in that desk! Where have his legs gone?!

I've seen other shots where I could have sworn there were environment reflections in the desk (not just physical reflections)
IN
Independent
The virtual studio is impressive. I thought is was real the first time I saw them using it.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Post deleted.
JW
JamesWorldNews

11 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
A new show from AJE London.

Newer posts