« Topics
Markymark7,827 posts since 13 Dec 2004 Recently warned
Meridian (North) South Today
That seems to be how it's done in the US, though I thought they usually had an announcement along the lines of 'We now join the film already in progress'?

Yes, they do, (as if that somehow makes it all OK !). The shuttle launch newsflash I saw was presumably national, so no one elsewhere would have seen the missing portion of the film !
TedJrr206 posts since 11 Sep 2005
Anglia (East) Look East
That seems to be how it's done in the US, though I thought they usually had an announcement along the lines of 'We now join the film already in progress'?

Yes, this happened in the UK too during the same era. Well, not regularly but following difficulties such as strikes, or when scheduled have changed due to coverage of events. Not so ITV, but BBC1 did this when an opt-out as planned but the sustaining element of network programming was supplemented by a standby show that didn't have the same duration as anticipated.

Can clearly remember Brian Baines coming on with " and now er're joining an edition of Star Treck which has alreday sterted".....
commseng379 posts since 8 Dec 2016
London London
That's just dumb. They should've started and finished the coverage at the same times the film started and finished.

The programme we were making was a host operation, not exclusively for NBC, so the event dictated the times.
There was no annoucement nor caption or anything, it looked and felt like a straight matrix switch from the network feed to our output.
Hence the open mouthed surprise - we'd never seen anything like it before!
thegeek5,376 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
I've seen something similar where a film on TBS (which was a good hour or two in) was interrupted mid-scene for the start of some basketball which had moved from TNT due to the previous game over-running. When the first game finished, the hosts announced it was moving back to TNT and TBS would continue with its regular programming - which was the film from the start again!
Steve in Pudsey10,701 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Can clearly remember Brian Baines coming on with " and now er're joining an edition of Star Treck which has alreday sterted".....

Not quite the same but more recently (ok, 20 years ago) I can remember a live Superleague Show being scheduled as an opt out from the beginning of Sunday Grandstand.

Harry Gration wrapped up and as he explained we were going to join the cycling (I think) coverage the rest of the country were watching the network feed was shown on the studio in vision screens before mixing and opting back. Seemed to be about as neat a way of doing it as possible.
Write that down in your copybook now.
TIGHazard713 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Not quite the same but more recently (ok, 20 years ago) I can remember a live Superleague Show being scheduled as an opt out from the beginning of Sunday Grandstand.

Harry Gration wrapped up and as he explained we were going to join the cycling (I think) coverage the rest of the country were watching the network feed was shown on the studio in vision screens before mixing and opting back. Seemed to be about as neat a way of doing it as possible.

That reminds me of this NE&C opt out of Euro 2012 to cover the Torch Relay

"But now, let's rejoin the football at the Olympic stadium in Kiev"

(And an almost perfectly timed shot of the football going to Alan Shearer)
BM11
London London
BT Sport sometimes enters tennis mid match with just a caption - due to the feed having started on the red button.
dvboy10,036 posts since 11 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
BT Sport sometimes enters tennis mid match with just a caption - due to the feed having started on the red button.

Yes they usually put a slide to say they are joining the match in progress, sometimes happens with other sport too when the previous event has run over. This weekend the Moscow and Luxembourg coverage overlapped and there wasn't enough space to put both on different channels so they put the later starting one on the red button and joined it after the other had finished.
Hello, good evening, and remain indoors.
BM11 gave kudos