The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
I find it utterly bizarre that a programme being broadcast in the early evening (1750-1830) is going out under the "NewsNight" branding, which arguably has distinctly "late night" connotations/associations to most viewers.

Evening is night last time I looked. Historically Newsnight has aired quite often early on Saturday evenings - and tonight with live sport from 6.30 they've put it in the latest available slot.

What about this then? There was once 'Newsnight Afternoon', which aired weekly on Tuesdays at about 3pm for several weeks from 1986-87.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/e09985416de943e0ab0a690aeb073684
RN
Rolling News
Huw on a Saturday! Now I’ve seen everything.
NE
Newsroom
Huw on a Saturday! Now I’ve seen everything.

Huh??

It's not a first when there is major news..by any means at all.

Expected as far as I'm concerned.
BR
Brekkie
BM11 posted:
Sky news push notification just now - Did your Mp scupper Brexit deal vote? Find out here.
Feels a little bit loaded when how did your MP vote would be the more neutral language.

They've now changed that with the following message.

A previous version of this article ran the headline: 'Did your MP scupper Brexit Deal Vote? Find out here...'. It was changed by a senior editorial figure who felt that it fell short of Sky News' editorial standards.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:
Sky news push notification just now - Did your Mp scupper Brexit deal vote? Find out here.
Feels a little bit loaded when how did your MP vote would be the more neutral language.

Now another one has come out from Sky.
'Boris Johnson's brexit vote delayed. How did your MP vote?'.
That's better.
NT
Night Thoughts
Channel 4 News currently being enlivened by loud chants of "b*****ks to Boris" almost drowning out the programme.
NE
Newsroom
Was there a newsflash on ITV?

Yes. It was very brief. “This is to confirm that Strictly will start on time”.

Presented by?
JW
JamesWorldNews
Was there a newsflash on ITV?

Presented by?

I’d imagine Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman as usual. But, I’m no expert.
RK
Rkolsen
Parliamentary Procedure question: Who are the four people that walk up to the table in front of speaker, now their heads, read the votes and then hand the paper off to be passed to the Speaker?

The tellers. https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/tellers/

Parliamentary Procedure question: Who are the four people that walk up to the table in front of speaker, now their heads, read the votes and then hand the paper off to be passed to the Speaker?

Those are the tellers - the people who count the votes. In order to vote, MPs leave the chamber and enter one of two lobbies depending on how they want to vote. The tellers in each lobby check off each MPs name from a list. Once these are added up, the tellers enter the chamber and announce the result as you described.

Thank you.
LS
Lou Scannon
I find it utterly bizarre that a programme being broadcast in the early evening (1750-1830) is going out under the "NewsNight" branding, which arguably has distinctly "late night" connotations/associations to most viewers.

Evening is night last time I looked.

I never said it wasn't.

Here again is stuff that I actually said, which people are seemingly (choosing to) ignore and/or not comprehend:

..."NewsNight" branding, which arguably has distinctly "late night" connotations/associations to most viewers.

*snip*

...dark NN studio & branding...

I wasn't only thinking of purely the name itself (as much of what I said makes clear), but also things like the dark look of the programme and it being firmly associated solely with a late-night broadcast slot (for UK viewers, who aren't privvy to the World News "digest" edition).

At no point have I said anything to the effect of getting hung-up on over-literal interpretations of the mere word "night", and yet people have weirdly decided that that's what I was saying.

Rolling Eyes
NE
Newsroom

Presented by?

I’d imagine Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman as usual. But, I’m no expert.

WRONG CHANNEL James.....
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member

Assuming that the programme won't be simulcast on the NC (?), I presume it's a case of them utilising the only BBC Two-specific "news bulletin" brand that exists?

I suppose that at least we're now at a time of year when it will be (getting) dusky/dark(ish) at that hour of the day. Would be far odder for the dark NN studio & branding to be on-air during broad daylight hours.

EDIT: Now that I think about it a bit more, I'm guessing that it's also because it will have NN's "in-depth analysis" style/tone/format, rather than a "catch-all news bulletin" tone?

Newsnight has its own editorial team, its own correpondents and presenters and so on. It'll have a lot more to do with that than anything else.
msim, London Lite and Lou Scannon gave kudos

Newer posts