The Newsroom

Changes to BBC Parliament & Political Programming

(July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
What exactly goes on at party conventions? I would expect businesses suited to politics but from what I’ve seen is a lot of regular businesses with booths, like Amazon behind the NewsNght set.
CA
cat
It’s the GMB behind Newsnight (trade union, running anti amazon campaign) and EDF the energy company, which has a big lobbying arm. Most other companies there are similar.. all lobbying for something. Facebook, Google, BP, etc... all there this year.

It’s a mix of speeches and votes in the conference hall to set policy (except at conservatives where there are no policy votes); business, campaign organisations and tv broadcasters with stands in the exhibition centre; and fringe panel debates on every topic you can imagine, usually sponsored by businesses and think tanks.

Then the evening is basically people getting drunk in the neighbouring hotels at sponsored receptions and hotel bars.
LL
London Lite Founding member
To give the Tories credit, they gave the Newsnight/Politics Live area decent space that it didn't look claustrophobic. Compare that to Labour last week and you could almost see elbows behind the guests!
ST
Stuart
I see my post (and video) about Diane Abbott has been deleted (not about presentation), yet an entire thread about Naga Munchetty remains. Oddly conflicting editorial policy here.

I didn't realise this forum was now moderated by someone trained at the Daily Mail.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I see my post (and video) about Diane Abbott has been deleted (not about presentation), yet an entire thread about Naga Munchetty remains. Oddly conflicting editorial policy here.

I didn't realise this forum was now moderated by someone trained at the Daily Mail.

The Munchetty incident happened while she and Dan Walker were working on Breakfast, which meets the presentation remit. A random post about Diane Abbott blundering at PMQ's isn't.
DM
DeMarkay

What on earth has Diane Abbott got to do with the presentation of BBC Breakfast?
JW
JamesWorldNews

What on earth has Diane Abbott got to do with the presentation of BBC Breakfast?

Indeed! ‘Jeremy’ left BBC Breakfast years and years ago........
LO
Londoner
BBC Parliament showing the 1959 election on Wednesday night
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n8s9w
Stuart, London Lite and benriggers gave kudos

11 days later

GO
gottago
They're currently showing the Gibraltar Leaders Debate for their election made by the local broadcaster GBC. Pretty basic affair. Have they ever shown Gibraltar election things before?
NL
Ne1L C
I don't think so. I know they've had programmes on the IOM elections.
TI
TIGHazard
And of course with the Saturday parliamentary session tomorrow, it now means that a 'new' show has appeared on BBC Parliament.

Saturday in Parliament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009q96
:-(
A former member
They're currently showing the Gibraltar Leaders Debate for their election made by the local broadcaster GBC. Pretty basic affair. Have they ever shown Gibraltar election things before?

Did it take place in the Gibraltar Morrisons Cafe?
Spencer, gottago and thegeek gave kudos

Newer posts