« Topics
Markymark7,296 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
No, but there was no reason it had to have been made after an agreement was made. ITV was gong to come back at some point
Wouldn't doing it earlier have involved crossing the picket line? Same goes for Tyne Tees's new ident, come to think of it.

Were jingles, idents, and other bits of presentation done in-house at ITV back then? In the U.S., they would have been produced by outside production companies (at least in most cases).

We've covered this up thread already I think? I suspect the promos were often produced by the advertising industry, so external. ILR Radio jingles of that era were UK produced, the BBC had a mild skirmish with the Musicians Union (according to Johnny Beeling's autobiography) over the Texan produced jingles for R1/2 in the 70s
WW Update gave kudos
Hatton Cross3,324 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
The Welcome Home jingle sounds like a proffesional production, so highly likely a commission to a advertising jingle company.

The graphics, whilst looking like it was a Thames/LWT Inhouse job for the network, probably was done by a Soho facilities house. Mollinaire, for example.
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
WW Update gave kudos
Markymark7,296 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
The Welcome Home jingle sounds like a proffesional production, so highly likely a commission to a advertising jingle company.

It was the Michael Sammes Singers I think ?
I could have sworn their regular gig was Radio 2's Sing Something Simple (which those of us of a certain age) will recall was butted up next to the R1/2 simulcast of The Top 40 on Sunday evening, one of UK's radios greatest scheduling juxtapositions.
Seems it was the Cliff Adams Singers on there ?
Spencer (previously Spencer For Hire) 5,973 posts since 13 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

It was the Michael Sammes Singers I think ?
I could have sworn their regular gig was Radio 2's Sing Something Simple (which those of us of a certain age) will recall was butted up next to the R1/2 simulcast of The Top 40 on Sunday evening, one of UK's radios greatest scheduling juxtapositions.
Seems it was the Cliff Adams Singers on there ?

Yes, I definitely remember it being the Cliff Adams Singers on there when my grandma would insist on listening to it.
Inspector Sands13,963 posts since 25 Aug 2004

The graphics, whilst looking like it was a Thames/LWT Inhouse job for the network, probably was done by a Soho facilities house. Mollinaire, for example.

Yep there were lots of companies in Soho and elsewhere in London that produced or helped to produce TV and film. It would almost certainly have been produced on film
Steve Williams2,874 posts since 1 Aug 2008
I am truly amazed at the ratings bonanza BBC One got with the 1979 strike - no surprise, as there were only two channels, but still the ratings was extraordinary, as people decided to stay in and watch BBC One, than going out to the cinema, pubs, shops, clubs etc.

Although that didn't stop the Glasgow Herald asking where all the viewers had gone the day ITV came back, pointing out that ITV's top-rated shows were getting 17 million before the strike, so a few million had gone somewhere...
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ofY9AAAAIBAJ&sjid=GUkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3787%2C5303206

They are impressive figures, mind. The one that always gets me is Top of the Pops, as I thought about again when they played the chart from 1979 on Pick of the Pops the other week. Bands like XTC, Matumbi, The Jags, The Headboys and New Muzik were all on Pops in October and playing to over nineteen million people. You'd have to go on an Olympics opening ceremony to reach that kind of audience these days.
james-20015,395 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today

Yep there were lots of companies in Soho and elsewhere in London that produced or helped to produce TV and film. It would almost certainly have been produced on film

It's definitely done on film, if you look at the menu at the end of the trailer with that night's lineup, you can see the logo wobbling and weaving all over the place while the text remains static.
commseng295 posts since 8 Dec 2016
London London
Could be worse - I heard recently on the radio someone discussing having a meal in a restaurant in Zimbabwe at the peak of the inflation crisis.
The cost of the meal went up three times while they were eating it.
There's an incentive not to bother with a coffee, but just to get the bill and quickly.......