TV Home Forum

CBBC Channel

New logo for 2016 - out with the green (September 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001

Oh and to stay on topic, the Headmaster is a marvellous man and this is the best school I've ever been to Wink

For a show called "The Demon Headmaster", he was only headmaster for 3 episodes. I wonder if the new one will stay in charge for longer Razz

Seems to be doing alright for himself after framing Sally Webster for fraud.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Oh and to stay on topic, the Headmaster is a marvellous man and this is the best school I've ever been to Wink

For a show called "The Demon Headmaster", he was only headmaster for 3 episodes. I wonder if the new one will stay in charge for longer Razz

Minor detail. He was headmaster for c. 165 pages plus all the back story and whatever else so... Razz
BA
bilky asko
We seem to have black bars on widescreen HD programmes for some reason, including Demon Headmaster:
(click for bigger version)

I know the Butterfly drama from a few months ago was similar but IIRC those were thinner than these.
Is this the start of a relentless march towards 2.35:1?

It's 2:1: the same as Doctor Who, and the aspect ratio that Netflix and Amazon require their commissions to be in.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
We seem to have black bars on widescreen HD programmes for some reason, including Demon Headmaster:

I know the Butterfly drama from a few months ago was similar but IIRC those were thinner than these.

It's 2:1: the same as Doctor Who, and the aspect ratio that Netflix and Amazon require their commissions to be in.

So I presume 2:1 is wider than 16:9?

I have seen some Amazon original commissions that fill my 16:9 screen. Or is my app/Firestick zooming in slightly on these?
BA
bilky asko

I have seen some Amazon original commissions that fill my 16:9 screen. Or is my app/Firestick zooming in slightly on these?

I'm not as familiar with Amazon's original commissions, so I've no idea.
JA
JAS84

Probably zooming in. 2:1 would be the same as 18:9, so yes, it is wider.
NG
noggin Founding member

Yes - 16:9 = 1.77:1
2:1 = 16:8 (so vertically you have a "0.5" bar top and bottom when you show 2:1=16:8 in a 16:9 frame)

2:1 is increasingly the standard aspect ratio for high-end drama, and many Netflix and Amazon original commissions are 2:1.
PF
PFML84
House Of Cards, Transparent, Stranger Things, Jurassic World and The Handmaids Tale are a few examples of TV shows/films being shot in 2:1.

21 days later

LN
LondonNewsBites
This is slightly off-topic but how do the BBC fit CBeebies' logo on the ECP slides???
JA
JAS84
Shrunken into the same type of box the other channels use, on a blue background, I believe. It's been a while since I've seen that channel on an ECP slide though.

11 days later

DB
dbl
BBC to drop the teatime Newsround bulletin on CBBC:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/16/bbc-scrap-teatimenewsround-bulletin/
KE
kernow
dbl posted:
BBC to drop the teatime Newsround bulletin on CBBC:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/16/bbc-scrap-teatimenewsround-bulletin/

It says they'll just be keeping one morning bulletin, so I'm guessing this means they'll be scrapping the 2nd morning bulletin, as well as the weekend afternoon bulletins.

If this goes through, wouldn't be surprised if they end up scrapping it completely at some point.

Newer posts