The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SK
skyviewer
I enjoyed The Early Rundown this morning. Great lighting and the weather forecasts look a lot better from the new camera angle than from the CSO in Studio 6.

A shame this show is only running one hour a day..
EL
elmarko
Can anyone else see a ghostly image of Kay on the close-up camera over the top of the wide shot?

Someone left a T-bar slightly off a stop, maybe?
CA
cat
The Early Rundown is completely indistinguishable from any other hour of Sky News, apart from Niall (excellent) and the background (less excellent)

I was expecting something a bit like the early morning local US news shows... supercharged run through of stories, bit of detail, regular weather slots, key events to watch during the day. (WCVB Boston do something called EyeOpener)

A sort of Politico Playbook on screen

It was really not that. Just a decent but bland hour.

Sky seem to make a virtue of not having anything visual going on in their bulletins these days. It’s awful.
Last edited by cat on 14 October 2019 4:57pm - 2 times in total
Custard56 and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
EY
the eye
There is a live stream of ABC7’s morning news show on YouTube, watched that a few times and I kind of like that format. As you say it’s what this news hour should be I agree, makes the programme name a bit redundant
MO
Mouseboy33
Which ABC7? NY, LA, SF or Chicago.
Any road....its seems odd to give the show a "fancy" new name such as The Rundown, when its just a different face with the same format. Outside Source on BBC at least has a point of difference. The Rundown seems like its should have a been a quick fast paced blast for someone getting ready to run out the door in the morning. Id imagine like a compact short 15 min wheel. Weather,Top Stories, Weather, Topical, Weather. The stories should be lots of bullet points and quick graphics. (Similar to AXIOS. They have very short stories that amazingly give you an accurate portrait of even complex stories) (Studies have shown people love their weather in the morning) Frankly it just seems like SkyNews gave up innovating their on screen product. Its seems like the only new thing they create these is a programme title cards. Even the bulk of the opening is the same. Its all yawnsville creatively.
RO
rob Founding member
Kay will be back on the green tomorrow, but SJM will be in the glass box.
SO
Switched On
rob posted:

Hardly surprising, it provided such a refreshing backdrop this morning especially in the dark Rolling Eyes
LL
London Lite Founding member
As much as I enjoy watching local US early morning newscasts, to compare Sky News to a format where you get such a tight structure of news, traffic and weather at the same time as part of a programme designed to help workers get a news digest isn't what The Early Rundown is designed to be.

It's another one of those cases where what may work in the US and Canada doesn't exactly work in the UK.
ME
mediamonkey91
rob posted:

Will we ever bloody see her in Millbank??

Pretty poor to launch the new shows this way imo.
HB
HarryB
rob posted:

True. Don't really understand the amount of money spent on the glass box and instead then shove Kay into the shoe box at Millbank
LL
London Lite Founding member
rob posted:

True. Don't really understand the amount of money spent on the glass box and instead then shove Kay into the shoe box at Millbank

IMHO, the Glass Box is a vanity project by Sky's previous owner to show off the output to visitors to the complex.
Cando and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
SO
Switched On

IMHO, the Glass Box is a vanity project by Sky's previous owner to show off the output to visitors to the complex.

I was just thinking the same. It's a shame they didn't just build a 'proper' 3 wall studio on the ground floor with a glass window for the 4th wall for visitors to look into. The glass box, no matter what angle, always feels more suited to That's TV local news.

Newer posts