« Topics
Rolling News1,021 posts since 27 Dec 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
I love the way people here, who have no idea of the constraints teams are working with on the ground, love to jump to conclusions. I can think of a number of reasons the Politics Live desk may not be available or suitable, and none of them revolve around lacking common sense...

Fair point, but Breakfast still lacks common sense these days in terms of presentation.
ittrgrey and BBI45 gave kudos
JamesWorldNews8,667 posts since 22 Aug 2004
STV Central BBC World News
I love the way people here, who have no idea of the constraints teams are working with on the ground, love to jump to conclusions. I can think of a number of reasons the Politics Live desk may not be available or suitable, and none of them revolve around lacking common sense...

Fair point, but Breakfast still lacks common sense these days in terms of presentation.

Genuine question here: in what ways (apart from the CPC desk arrangement discussed above) does Breakfast still lack common sense in terms of presentation?

I’m not a viewer of Breakfast, so am not in a position to agree or disagree with your feedback. I’m just genuinely curious as to where deficiency in “common sense” could be considered as notable.

I do agree that there are some aspects of the pres (set, graphics, backdrops, titles, etc etc) which are not to everyone’s taste. But I’m genuinely intrigued by the “common sense” comment.

Thanks.
@JamesWorldNews | Formerly BBC WORLD
ashley b gave kudos
Rolling News1,021 posts since 27 Dec 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today

Genuine question here: in what ways (apart from the CPC desk arrangement discussed above) does Breakfast still lack common sense in terms of presentation?

I’m not a viewer of Breakfast, so am not in a position to agree or disagree with your feedback. I’m just genuinely curious as to where deficiency in “common sense” could be considered as notable.

I do agree that there are some aspects of the pres (set, graphics, backdrops, titles, etc etc) which are not to everyone’s taste. But I’m genuinely intrigued by the “common sense” comment.

Thanks.

Well, last year they updated their title sequence to some rather nice shots of Salford yet kept the horrible disco ball from the previous sequence in their screens in the background. Surely anyone with an iota of common sense would realise how silly that is? It also technically means the disco ball has been part of Breakfast pres for 10 years now since 2009, when GMTV was still on air on the other side...
AndrewPSSP, JamesTV and 2 others
  • ittrgrey
  • watchingtv
gave kudos
Lou Scannon
HTV West Points West
It's a different view of Media City than the one used by NWT, and also doesn't have anything superimposed (i.e. anything akin to the scrolling "North West Today/Tonight" text). No more "disco ball" banners!

However, it does look heavily "CGI-ed" (or whatever). I'm wondering that it might even be still photographs rather than moving footage (?), with things like the rippling of the water added afterwards. It has the same "idealised" fake look as e.g. BBC World News' London backdrop.

They're seemingly also continuing with the sky being perpetually stuck at "sunrise" (pinky/orangey) coloured for the entire duration of the programme, even at times of the morning when the real world is either pitch black or post-sunrise/broad daylight/blue skies.

In fact, the sky above the Media City buildings looks like the *exact same* CGI sky as before (complete with the identical flock of birds flying left-to-right every few minutes).

EDIT: I wonder whether they've replaced the knackered sofa with an identical new one?
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 14 October 2019 6:56am
ittrgrey gave kudos
Lou Scannon
HTV West Points West
How dare you suggest BBC World backdrop is “idealized”.

I didn't suggest anything using the American "z" spelling, actually... Razz

I’m reporting you to the office of Austin Tatious!

That'd be a bit like reporting Jon Pertwee to the office of William Hartnell...

Surely a tweak in the sofa design would be easy to achieve, just to give it a slight “difference” over the old one?

If a new sofa has debuted this morning at all, and if it has any slight design differences from its predecessor, then I've not noticed any such differences!
JamesWorldNews gave kudos