TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
We’re off with the UEFA Club Competitions UK rights offering now live. Reportedly ITV, Sky and BT all in play.

Are ITV / Sky joint bidding? Would like to see a return to Champions League to FTA. The competition has lost a lot of exposure being solely pay tv.

I could see ITV doing 2023's Champions League final since that's coming to Wembley. And that being on FTA would give it a lot of ratings.

The fact it’s at Wembley has no bearing on the ratings, what does is which teams are taking part. It’s unlikely ITV are going to win the rights for one match.
BM
BM11
Jon posted:

Are ITV / Sky joint bidding? Would like to see a return to Champions League to FTA. The competition has lost a lot of exposure being solely pay tv.

I could see ITV doing 2023's Champions League final since that's coming to Wembley. And that being on FTA would give it a lot of ratings.

The fact it’s at Wembley has no bearing on the ratings, what does is which teams are taking part. It’s unlikely ITV are going to win the rights for one match.

Only if Ofcom listed rules are changed - which could be a small election issue.
JO
Jon
BM11 posted:
Jon posted:

The Ofcom rule isn’t going to change to include just one match.
BM
BM11
Jon posted:
BM11 posted:
Jon posted:

The Ofcom rule isn’t going to change to include just one match.

I mean the final itself getting put on the A list.
BM
BM11
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49995604
ITV and STV scuring arround lots of plans.
NW
nwtv2003
We’re off with the UEFA Club Competitions UK rights offering now live. Reportedly ITV, Sky and BT all in play.

The Sport Bible on Facebook (which I wouldn’t take as gospel) is implying that the ITV bid is a joint one with Sky, similar to the previous agreement of having 1 or 2 matches being shown FTA per week.
ET
ethanh05
It's all kicking off on Sky Sports Football right now.

Just watched a bit of Belarus v Estonia, and as the commentator threw to a break and the European Qualifiers bumper came up, it just didn't wipe out. Then a clock came up, obviously the playout of the ident. Then, we went back to a frozen image of the stadium for about 10 seconds. Then, eventually, we ended up with the usual promo graphics for Sky tonight that we usually see, but with no commentator. Now we're onto an ad break.
JA
JAS84
BM11 posted:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49995604
ITV and STV scuring arround lots of plans.
There's a dedicated RWC thread where this is already being discussed.

https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1190022#post-1190022
BR
Brekkie
F1 also being affected by the typhoon with qualifying moved to Sunday, if it goes ahead. C4's Sunday highlights have been extended by half an hour so I guess they'll cover qualifying relatively briefly.
bkman1990 and watchingtv gave kudos
MI
Michael
Congratulations to Eliud Kipchoge for running a marathon in under 2 hours. Congratulations also to the BBC for running a 2 hour advert for Ineos.
BK
bkman1990
Has the schedule on Channel 4 been changed now to reflect the Qualifying at Suzuka being moved to tomorrow.
JA
JAS84
Stupid Radio Times. They're still saying F1 is on right now. Of course, it's not (they're showing Simpsons instead, which was meant to be on afterwards). Tomorrow's schedule on both RT and my TV's EPG match - looks like it hasn't changed.

Newer posts