« Topics
Hatton Cross3,295 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
Social media seems to be (but actually, shouldn't be taken in isolation) the yardstick for what viewers want and think.

It's a bit like tracking, that ILR stations used to use to formulate playlists, and was one of the most unreliable and flawed ways to do it.

If tv stations take social media at its word, nothing would change, badly rating programmes would never get pulled off air, and when something really bad happens, that programme would continue like nothing had happened.

Case notes see - Show, The Jeremy Kyle and aftercare of participants.
After the terrible events earlier this year, judging by some of the comments on Twitter and Facebook and Digital Spy when ITV quite correctly dropped the show, you'd think the end of the world was heading at great speed, and only bringing back the show in its original form would save it from the huge asteroid.. Rolling Eyes
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
London Lite gave kudos
London Lite10,712 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
It's a difficult one. Expanding Ireland AM and The Six O'Clock Show make sense, but Elaine is no way a direct replacement for a British daytime show with a reasonable budget and decent booking power.

Great to see VM ticking more of those Irish hour boxes, but it does seem a mistake to replace ITV acquisitions for cheaper home made formats.
JKDerry1,901 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
Couldn't they have moved This Morning and Loose Women simulcasts to VM Three - thus allowing Irish viewers continued access to these shows, and knowing they can easily transfer them back to VM One if the new schedule tanked?

It seems VM just did not want to pay the re-transmission fees to ITV plc and dumped the two shows in order to save money, and use a bit of the cash saved to extend their home produced output per day.

VM is really trying hard to outdo RTE in terms of live daily content - and yes, they are doing a lot more, but more home produced content does not mean quality is going to be good and ratings high.

I bet this new weekday schedule will be dropped or at least altered come January 2020.
TVLand58 posts since 9 Aug 2019 new member
UTV
Couldn't they have moved This Morning and Loose Women simulcasts to VM Three - thus allowing Irish viewers continued access to these shows, and knowing they can easily transfer them back to VM One if the new schedule tanked?

It seems VM just did not want to pay the re-transmission fees to ITV plc and dumped the two shows in order to save money, and use a bit of the cash saved to extend their home produced output per day.

VM is really trying hard to outdo RTE in terms of live daily content - and yes, they are doing a lot more, but more home produced content does not mean quality is going to be good and ratings high.

I bet this new weekday schedule will be dropped or at least altered come January 2020.

I’m sorry but I just can’t see them dropping it. It would be admitting that they did something wrong, something that VM don’t like doing.
Brekkie gave kudos
UTV Newsline

I’m sorry but I just can’t see them dropping it. It would be admitting that they did something wrong, something that VM don’t like doing.

Channels swap, drop and change schedules all the time, especially if the ratings are poor and they are losing ad revenue. You can bet your last €uro that if VM see a significant ratings drop and ad revenue drop, This Morning and Loose Women will return in 2020.
UTV
RTÉ have opened new TV and Radio studios in the basement of Government Buildings in Dublin. Áine Lawlor presented her show on Radio One from there on Tuesday evening and multiple interviews with Politicians after the Budget were done by satellite from there on RTE TV News.
Hatton Cross3,295 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
If you've spent money on building tv and radio studios in the basement of the seat of power in Ireland - why do you still need a satalite truck to get the pictures back to Dunnybrook ?

Would have thought all the output both visual and audio would be sent directly via a dedicated fibre optic line.
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
Inspector Sands13,831 posts since 25 Aug 2004
These days it doesn't even need to be a dedicated fibre link, you'd assume that both the Irish Government and RTE would have a decent bandwidth Internet connection to stream something half decent quality
UTV Newsline
These days it doesn't even need to be a dedicated fibre link, you'd assume that both the Irish Government and RTE would have a decent bandwidth Internet connection to stream something half decent quality

RTE are traditionalists by heart - I remember one RTE technician saying to me that he was surprised that in nearly every studio based programme you will notice RTE still insist on having table microphones - The Late Late Show, Prime Time, Ray D'arcy Show etc all have them, whereas in the UK very rarely will you see a table/desk microphone, as they all rely on clip on mics on presenters and guests - RTE insist on the old style mics too. I always remember seeing the Gay Byrne Late Late Show on Channel 4 in the early 1990s, and they had huge stick microphones on Gay's desk.
globaltraffic24454 posts since 23 Jun 2013
STV Central Reporting Scotland

RTE are traditionalists by heart - I remember one RTE technician saying to me that he was surprised that in nearly every studio based programme you will notice RTE still insist on having table microphones - The Late Late Show, Prime Time, Ray D'arcy Show etc all have them, whereas in the UK very rarely will you see a table/desk microphone, as they all rely on clip on mics on presenters and guests - RTE insist on the old style mics too. I always remember seeing the Gay Byrne Late Late Show on Channel 4 in the early 1990s, and they had huge stick microphones on Gay's desk.

That's as much a style thing, as a technical requirement. It's one albeit small way of RTE appearing more influenced by European TV than British. French TV continues to insist on desk mics and it's almost always for no reason other than aesthetics.
UTV
Ireland AM have announced that they’re holding an event basically the same as “This Morning Live” in the UK. It’s called AM Live (stylised am:Live) and it’s being held at the Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa in Tralee, Co. Kerry on the 10th of November. Tickets are €85.
Eventbrite link: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/am-live-tickets-74622902109?aff=ebdssbeac
Promo:
This one-day event will be hosted by Anna Daly and Simon Delaney and featuring your favourite Ireland AM personalities plus some special guests.
Watch live styling sessions with Celia Holman Lee who is synonymous with Irish fashion and Ireland AM.
Noel Cunningham will share his top tips to help us navigate modern-day life with class and good humour from his new book “Noel Cunningham’s Guide to Modern Irish Manners”.
Enjoy a Traditional Afternoon Tea with a glass of prosecco and be entertained with interactive sessions on everything from beauty and health, home and cookery.
The event is set in the award winning Ballygarry House, Tralee, Co. Kerry, which embodies the highest of service values and standards, whilst its design & character embody the charm of a country house.
Huge selection of spot prizes throughout the day so make sure you ask questions and get involved in all the fun.Full Event Tickets includes - a glass of prosecco , sumptuous afternoon tea, and an exclusive goodie bag.
As well as the opportunity to shop the latest trends in our Marketplace.
Live links into Ireland AM throughout the morning from the event.
Last edited by TVLand on 12 October 2019 10:14am
London Lite gave kudos