TV Home Forum

BGT 2020

More Talent axed (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GB
Gary Baldy
Very surprised to hear about BGMT, it was still bringing in high ratings, but it seems like ITV and Cowell only care about the 18-34 audience now. Us oldies have to suffer as a result. I loved Stephen on More Talent and am gutted for him. Think Ant and Dec might leave now, they had a great friendship with Stephen.
PF
PFML84
I doubt Ant & Dec are going anywhere.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Ant & Dec are not going to leave Britain's Got Talent over Stephen Mulhern. Rolling Eyes

I seem to be the only one that's not surprised. I can see exactly why ITV2 wouldn't want this sort of show. It's a relic from the days when they were reliant on ITV1 sister shows for viewers.

Imagine what ITV2 could do with the budget of a live nightly show.
GB
Gary Baldy
I doubt Ant & Dec are going anywhere.

I think that would be the best thing to do though, out of respect for Stephen. Of course though, that begs the question 'who'd replace them'?

I'm over 60 and enjoy BGMT more than the main show, even though it's more of a 'youth' sort of humour, don't understand why they're axing it.

Unless Alesha is doing a maternity leave and Stephen is a judge?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Either you're winding us up or you're Stephen.
GB
Gary Baldy
Either you're winding us up or you're Stephen.

Yeah, it is a bit of a far-fetched explanation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Alesha went on maternity leave. Highly unlikely to be Stephen though.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, if Alesha's unavailable, she'll have a female replacement.
FO
FanOfTV99
I'm saddened to hear this news.

More Talent was good to watch. I still remember watching BGMT and seeing who would win between Ant and Dec.

I love to know what ITV2 will be showing insteaf of More Talent, possibly another Steve Carell film that they've repeated over a million times.
ThatTVNerd and DeMarkay gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
BGMT has aka been The Stephen Mulhern Show for the last couple of series now, interspersed with offbeat acts that make it a surprise they ever got through the initial pre-judge auditions in the first place.

Sometimes it surprises me that ITV absolutely love him, although it has to be remembered they gave him his television break when he was picked to be one of the faces of the relaunched CITV in 1998 and he's been with the network ever since so I suppose he's happy they giving him new projects. I can't believe In for a Penny was blown up from a segment to a full series though, I supposed it worked for Through The Keyhole (which started as a segment on TV-am)...
JO
Johnr
I suspect another reason the show has been axed is so the judges can be straight out of the door after the live shows rather than having to hang around...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-08-27/david-walliams-relieved-stephen-mulhern-isnt-on-britains-got-talent-the-champions/
DJ
DJ Dave
BGMT has aka been The Stephen Mulhern Show for the last couple of series now, interspersed with offbeat acts that make it a surprise they ever got through the initial pre-judge auditions in the first place.

Sometimes it surprises me that ITV absolutely love him, although it has to be remembered they gave him his television break when he was picked to be one of the faces of the relaunched CITV in 1998 and he's been with the network ever since so I suppose he's happy they giving him new projects. I can't believe In for a Penny was blown up from a segment to a full series though, I supposed it worked for Through The Keyhole (which started as a segment on TV-am)...

Don't know why we have so many people on here that hate Stephen, I think he is good on Catchphrase and I think In for a penny is a good laugh too.
BR
Brekkie
Used to love BGMT but it became far too much about Mulhern since around the time he got Catchphrase and a more difficult watch and a change in host would have benefited it. ITV2 generally better off using their budget now on original content rather than propping up ITV shows.

I'm a Celeb Extra Camp may survive with it being an ITV production, but frankly of all the spin off shows on ITV2 and elsewhere it is amongst the least loved and never held on to its presenters for too long.

Newer posts