TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland Disclosure

...or was it BBC Panorama? (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
scottishtv Founding member
So, here's something I noticed. BBC Scotland News has previously investigated these "street seduction" creeps in the past, and they must've decided to make such activities the focus of a Disclosure episode (this series used to be called BBC Scotland Investigates).

This aired last night at 20:30 on BBC ONE Scotland, whilst the rest of the UK got an episode of Panorama. Turns out it was the exact same programme, just with Panorama branding! I think the only difference was the intro and some graphics. Here's a few caps:

I know viewers outside Scotland wouldn't recognise the Disclosure name, but I don't think I've ever seen this happen before.

[Edit: I corrected the former name of the BBC Scotland series.]
Last edited by scottishtv on 8 October 2019 11:34pm
JO
Josh
That Panorama image on the last slide loks very shoddy!
Ittr, Lou Scannon and chris gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Well at least one of those images clearly had to be faked.
VM
VMPhil
Ha, that last image where they've superimposed a shatliffed Panorama logo is just amazing.
JF
JetixFann450
Didn't think the BBC was just Channel 5 and relabeling programmes!
AJ
AJB39
Well spotted. Truly bizarre that two versions of the same programme were made. Why couldn’t they give the programme a neutral name so that everybody could air the same version?
SC
scottishtv Founding member
AJB39 posted:
Why couldn’t they give the programme a neutral name so that everybody could air the same version?

We get Panorama in Scotland so it might've made sense to use that everywhere, but I suspect it was made as a Disclosure programme first (a lot of it was filmed in Glasgow), and Panorama maybe decided it was worth broadcasting UK-wide.
JA
JAS84
It was definitely made as a Disclosure episode, the logo in their version on the last screencap was a projection, but of course the Panorama version was CG, and thus obscures part of that guy's shadow!
Ittr, AJB39 and Lou Scannon gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
AJB39 posted:
Why couldn’t they give the programme a neutral name so that everybody could air the same version?

We get Panorama in Scotland so it might've made sense to use that everywhere, but I suspect it was made as a Disclosure programme first (a lot of it was filmed in Glasgow), and Panorama maybe decided it was worth broadcasting UK-wide.

Thats almost certainly what happened. And I don't really see a problem with that. There's a lot of good content that only gets shown to part of the country that deserves a national airing. I've always thought it would be a good way of filling BBC2's schedules
PE
peterrocket Founding member
It's happened once before in NI with BBC Northern Ireland's Spotlight rebadged as Panorama for the UK audience.
KE
kernow
Programmes like Disclosure and BBC Wales Investigates do get UK wide airings on BBC News without being rebranded.
WH
whoiam989
Speaking of which, I remember watching an investigative report from BBC's Arabic team about the killing of Jamal Khashoggi rebadged as an episode of Our World when it was shown in English on BBC World News. It was probably titled "Saudi's Crown Prince on Trial" in English.

Arrow BBC WN
Arrow BBC News (24)

Anyway, it'd be great to see a side-by-side video comparison of both Disclosure and Panorama versions of the same "Seduction" episode.
Last edited by whoiam989 on 9 October 2019 2:08pm

Newer posts