TV Home Forum

ITV Daytime reshuffle

Rumours of later GMB and longer This Morning? (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
Programmes spanning the 9:25 boundary isn't anything new anyway, The Disney Club used to do it during the 90s.

Wasn't The Disney Club an STV production?

It was, but STV, like LWT, Carlton and Disney were all stakeholders in GMTV.

There are ways around these things as they are able to do this for Sport or big News events, and I’m sure one day it will be achieved. The easiest way is the day that ITV would absorb STV, but that might not be any time soon.

Probably a compromise will be achieved if so, or the split will occur during Lorraine, if she moves to 9:00am.
JK
JKDerry
Programmes spanning the 9:25 boundary isn't anything new anyway, The Disney Club used to do it during the 90s.

Wasn't The Disney Club an STV production?

It was, but STV, like LWT, Carlton and Disney were all stakeholders in GMTV.

There are ways around these things as they are able to do this for Sport or big News events, and I’m sure one day it will be achieved. The easiest way is the day that ITV would absorb STV, but that might not be any time soon.

Probably a compromise will be achieved if so, or the split will occur during Lorraine, if she moves to 9:00am.

I get the sense that STV will hold on to their franchise for as long as they can, making sure ITV plc does not get their hands on it. STV is a fierce independent channel, much like UTV was, but sadly UTV caused their own downfall with the UTV Ireland fiasco. STV will be more firmer and stay put.
NL
Ne1L C
Like you I can't see an ITV/STV linkup/merger. STV could increase its regionality as I stated in a previous post and have a Scotland/Rest of UK split by opting out of Lorraine or Judge Rinder.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Like you I can't see an ITV/STV linkup/merger. STV could increase its regionality as I stated in a previous post and have a Scotland/Rest of UK split by opting out of Lorraine or Judge Rinder.

By dumping the most Scottish influenced programme in the ITV schedule? I don't imagine the headline 'STV AXES LORRAINE' would resonate well in Scotland.
DV
dvboy
There have been some silly ideas suggested on the last couple of pages. ITV or STV wouldn't do anything at that time of the morning which hands viewers on a plate over to BBC Breakfast.
NL
Ne1L C

By dumping the most Scottish influenced programme in the ITV schedule? I don't imagine the headline 'STV AXES LORRAINE' would resonate well in Scotland.

I also mentioned Judge Rinder. STV could opt out at 9.25 and have an "STV Morning Edition". That way they get the revenue from the ad break and at the same time reinforce their regionality.

dvboy posted:
There have been some silly ideas suggested on the last couple of pages. ITV or STV wouldn't do anything at that time of the morning which hands viewers on a plate over to BBC Breakfast.

Of Course ITV or STV wouldn't do anything to help the BBC. As for "silly ideas" well I believe part of a forum's function is to throw ideas about be they silly or sensible.
Newsroom24 and DeMarkay gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member

This is certainly the most sensible post I've seen on this thread for a while.

Scottish Television will not be axing Lorraine Kelly from its schedule. That is a given.
NL
Ne1L C

This is certainly the most sensible post I've seen on this thread for a while.

Scottish Television will not be axing Lorraine Kelly from its schedule. That is a given.

A LK/STV specific programme would certainly keep ITV/STV's ratings high
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
06:00 - 07:00 Judge Rinder (or similar)
07:00 - 09:30 Good Morning Britain
09:30 - 10:30 Lorraine
10:30 - 12:30 This Morning
12:30 - 13:30 Loose Women

I'd keep it fairly similar to as it is at the moment, effectively replacing the first hour of Good Morning Britain with a programme such as Judge Rinder. I'd then extend the end of Good Morning Britain for an extra hour until 09:30 so that the duration of the programme remains the same. Lorraine would then start an hour later at 09:30 (replacing a programme like Judge Rinder) that is currently shown in the same slot.

I'm not sure from a viewing figure point of view, but I've never really understood why GMB starts so early - I know I'm not a morning person, so perhaps that is a part of it but I think that a later start at 07:00 would perhaps start the show when more people are around to watch it.

I used to like the idea of having an early news bulletin at 06:00 or 06:30 but the reality is that I think that as more news goes online and this is increasingly the way most people get their news, I'm just not sure there would be enough of a market for it - particularly given GMB would start at 07:00 and if people are that desperate they can just look online.

No chance they'll have something like Judge Rinder from 6am, need a breakfast news show for people getting ready for work.
NE
Newsroom24
I'm not sure from a viewing figure point of view, but I've never really understood why GMB starts so early - I know I'm not a morning person, so perhaps that is a part of it but I think that a later start at 07:00 would perhaps start the show when more people are around to watch it.

The only part of GMB I am able to watch is the 6am-6:40am section due to the time I need to leave the house in order to start work at 8am. It's a selfish viewpoint to say that because you're not up to watch it, they should do away with it. I am never able to watch it between 8am and 8:30am but I'd never suggest they should get rid of that section of it because 'maybe it's just because I leave early, but I can't understand why GMB airs so late'. Lots of people are up and about between 6am and 7am, you can't just discount them.

To be honest, I couldn't care less when GMB started. If you read my post I said "perhaps that is a part of it", a reference to the fact that that may have a small influence on my judgment. My point was more centered around whether there are sufficient viewers to warrant the show to start at 06:00. A report by Sleep Cycle found that the average wake up time in Britain is 07:35, which again supports the idea that perhaps a later start to the program might maximize ratings for the show.

Of course, the best way to judge who watches the program is to take a look at viewing figures and weigh it up against the costs of starting earlier against the money they can make but unfortuently I don't have access to that data, so am speculating and coming up with a fantasy schedule.

For some reason, your post almost seems to take offense at even discussing the possibility of different hours for GMB - it's all a bit of fun and sort of the point of this thread? Perhaps fully read a post first before trying to create controversy?
JK
JKDerry
My opinion for a new daytime look for ITV would be as simple as this:

6.00am - GMB News Hour, for those who want a more news orientated start to the day

7.00am - GMB with Piers and Susanna as usual

9.00am - Lorraine

10.00am until 12.30pm - This Morning

Simple restructuring and it would work easily.
RO
Rogo23
My opinion for a new daytime look for ITV would be as simple as this:

6.00am - GMB News Hour, for those who want a more news orientated start to the day

7.00am - GMB with Piers and Susanna as usual

9.00am - Lorraine

10.00am until 12.30pm - This Morning

Simple restructuring and it would work easily.

I would love to see a GMB News Hour with Charlotte Hawkins and Sean Fletcher, have Laura at the desk for weather, it would be a nice pace in the morning. Then let Piers and Susana take over with the talk show at 7. Nice idea.

Newer posts