TV Home Forum

CBBC Channel

New logo for 2016 - out with the green (September 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

Isn't Scooby Doo now owned by Warner Bros.? Warner's cartoon shows are usually seen on fellow Warner Media channel Cartoon Network.

You're right, the ad I saw said it was on Boomerang.
(got confused as the ad was on Channel 5 and they have a lot of promos for Nick)

Seems its never really gone away as a format, this is just the latest incarnation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-Doo_and_Guess_Who
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Scooby Doo is the format that just keeps on giving. Somebody puts on a silly costume and terrorises the area for some ridiculous reason, the kids speak to local people and the "ghost" is almost always the first person they spoke to. Brilliant! Surprised there wasn't a whole generation who grew up thinking police work is easy off the back of that. Smile
IS
Inspector Sands
Though it does teach rationalism: that strange thing that's happened, it's not the supernatural or paranormal it's something more normal and mundane
TI
TIGHazard
In the 90s that's often what was on offer and we didn't know any different.

And into the 2000's. Dick & Dom had Rentaghost, Batfink, Taz-mania and Pinky and the Brain (the latter two being 10 years old at that point). Plus Looney Tunes of course.
MarkT76 and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Animation does date far less than live action though of course, hence why certain providers probably prefer it.

Do CITV still repeat My Parents are Aliens?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I guess as a show that at the time was said to work well for adults as well as kids I want to watch it again as an adult and see what I missed.

CBBC is probably the wrong place for that, and I'm not sure which channel would be the right place, but I'm sure there would be an audience for it.

"And Rentaghost continues tomorrow at 6pm. Up next on BBC Archive, its the Demon Headmaster. And later tonight at 7pm its Brush Strokes".

They could call it UK Gold (which did show Rentaghost at one point)
JA
james-2001
Surely they could have a streaming service of these archive shows, there for the people who want to see them, not taking up airtime on channels where the viewing figures might be low. I find it disapointing how little real archive TV we get in this country though (apart from the same handful of shows repeated over and over), in the US they have several channels dedicated to showing old stuff from the 50s, 60s and 70s.
BR
Brekkie
The reality is archive content is fairly niche and people like to sample nostalgia more than enjoy the whole thing. Many people probably quite happy spending six hours on social media reminiscing about the Demon Headmaster but probably wouldn't spend 6 hours or so watching the whole thing.
RO
Rofters

Po6xyPop77, DJ Dave and Josh gave kudos

8 days later

JO
Josh
If I had a pound everytime they've said "Inspirational. He's really turned the school around"...
JO
Jon
You’d probably have about £10 now?

But yes that’s kind of the point.

It was quite a respectable reboot I thought.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
We seem to have black bars on widescreen HD programmes for some reason, including Demon Headmaster:
(click for bigger version)

I know the Butterfly drama from a few months ago was similar but IIRC those were thinner than these.
Is this the start of a relentless march towards 2.35:1?

Oh and to stay on topic, the Headmaster is a marvellous man and this is the best school I've ever been to Wink

Newer posts